Part Seventy-Seven

“Negative…” I sighed, dropping the pregnancy test into the bin.

“Again?” Aston asked.

“Yeah,” I replied, wandering back into the bedroom and flopping on top of the duvet.

“We’ll just have to keep trying,” Aston said, “We’ve only be properly trying for a few months.”

“Still… Maybe there’s something wrong with me?”

“There is nothing wrong with you,” he said.

“But the crash…”

“The doctors said everything is fine for us to try for a baby,” Aston said expertly. We had gone in for a check-up, just to be sure that there wasn’t anything from the crash that could prevent us from conceiving. There wasn’t.

“I know, but maybe they missed something?”

“I highly doubt that. They’re trained professionals.”

“I guess…” I sighed, staring at the ceiling of our bedroom.

“It’ll happen,” Aston said, “Some couples try for years before anything happens.”

“And it’s only been a few months…” I added, completing his thought.

“It’ll be fine,” he said, climbing on to the bed next to me.

“I’m sorry,” I said, “You know how bad I want this now.”

“And I love that,” Aston said, “But you just gotta go with the flow.”

“Right,” I smiled, leaning up and pressing my lips against his.

“Now come on, you promised you’d have the coffee ready and waiting for your sister and she should be here any minute,” Aston said, slipping off the bed and dragging me along with him.

“Oh yeah.”

“Smile!” he said, “It’s gonna happen!”

I forced a smile on my face, heading down the stairs behind Aston. I guess I was scared that some serious damage had been done during my accident, we’d been trying for three months now and still nothing had happened. I wanted things to just start happening, but I guess that isn’t how they work.

“Julia’s here,” Aston said, snapping me out of my thoughts. I hadn’t even realized it but I’d been robotically making coffee as I reviewed things again and again.

“Hey Jess!!” Julia said, in a whirl of trench coat, tall leather boots, and fancy designer bag. She was always so put together, another trait she’d gotten from my mother, someone I hadn’t spoken to in months.

“Hi sis,” I sighed, going over to give her a tight hug. She’d surprised me since I’d gotten my memory back. After the drama with her over the whole divorce situation I’d been a bit distant, but as my memory started to fade back into place I’d tried to reconnect with her, she was my sister after all.