Epilogue

Several Years Later

“Exquisite,” Caroline smiled, holding my hand gently in hers as she beamed at me.

“It was seriously brilliant sweetheart,” my Dad added, his arm around my shoulders, “I’m so glad we finally got to hear all of it in one go, and in such an incredible venue no less.”

“It was a dream come true,” I smiled, catching my husband’s eye as he held all of the bouquets of flowers I’d been given after my performance.

 It had happened by chance really, a friend of a friend got in touch with Camila and suggested I enter a composition contest. The top five entries were given a chance to have their piece performed in front of a live panel of judges at the Royal Albert Hall. It had been Aston’s idea to enter my masterpiece, and play it myself. He’d been suggesting I get it out to the public for years but I’d always held it close to my chest, not wanting to share it until the time was right. And I guess the prospect of playing it at the Royal Albert Hall made the time about right…

 “It’s a shame you didn’t win,” Caroline said, “I reckon your piece was much more imaginative than the others, certainly more beautiful.”

“It’s hard to beat a full symphony with just a single piano,” I smiled, “I’m just thankful I got the chance to perform here.”

“Celebratory drinks?” my Dad asked, “Our hotel has a pretty nice bar.”

“Normally I’d love to,” I smiled, “But I think we should get home to the babysitter… She’s kind of young and I don’t want her up all night.”

“Course, we’ll see you guys for lunch tomorrow.”

“Bye Daddy,” I said, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek and then saying goodbye to Caroline.

“Ready?” Aston smiled.

“Yeah, let’s get home to our munchkin.”

Aston grinned at me, pressing a kiss onto my forehead as we headed out of the back of the Royal Albert Hall to the car. Somehow we avoided most fans and press, and were able to get on the road in no time.

“You were brilliant Jess,” Aston said, “That song… It gets me every time.”

“Thanks,” I smiled, grabbing his hand and holding it in my lap.

“I’m really proud of you.”

“I wrote it for you,” I whispered, “Well for us.”

“I know…” Aston said, a faint smile on his lips, “It’s meant a lot to us, what with everything that’s happened.”

“Are you mad that I announced on stage what the meaning was behind the song?”

“Jess, it’s your masterpiece,” Aston said, “I’ll support you no matter what you say.”

“People are going to ask questions,” I added, “About the memory thing. We’ve never discussed that publicly before.”

“I’ll just tell them the truth,” Aston said, squeezing my hand gently in his own. I pulled his fingers closer to my face, brushing my lips against them lightly. It was a scary prospect, everyone knowing the truth. But years had passed and I was tired of keeping secrets.

We pulled up at the house and headed inside to find the babysitter sat on the sofa in the front room with a pile of books, revising for school.

“How was he?” I asked.

“Energetic,” she said carefully.

“Really?”

“It’s fine,” she smiled, “He’s a really fun kid.”