Part Fourteen

“So our first kiss was in my bed?” I asked Aston as I sat across from him at the table in the kitchen with a cup of coffee, trying to get my questions answered.

“Yup.”
“And we didn’t do anything else?” I questioned, my eyebrows raised.

“Nope.”

“Yeah right,” I scoffed, “I don’t believe you.”

“I’m serious,” he said with a sincere smile, “It sounds insane, but our start was very innocent.”
“You’re lying!”
“I’m not,” he said, “We didn’t jump into anything, which is probably why things have worked so well for us.”

“Hmm…” I mused, sipping my coffee.

“I know it seems crazy,” Aston said, “But for me it was love at first sight. And when we got to know each other I think we both fell really hard and fast. We didn’t rush into marriage or anything, but I think we both knew pretty early on that this was it.”

I stared at him, not sure how much of what he was saying was exaggeration and how much was the truth. To be honest it all seemed way too good to be true. Nothing was that perfect.

“I’m going to go to the shops,” Aston said standing up with his empty mug, “We’ve hardly got any food since I’ve spent all my time at the hospital, figured I’d stock us up for the next week or two at least.”

“Sure.”

“Any special requests?” he asked.

“Some dark chocolate?” I said, “I’ve got a craving.”
“We might have some, you’ve always got a craving for dark chocolate,” Aston said, pulling a cupboard door open and standing on his tiptoes. “Nope… All out.”

“It’s ok.”
“I’ll get some,” he said with a wink, “Restock the supply.”

“You know what… Can I come?” I asked.

“Come to the shops?” Aston questioned.

“Do you mind? I feel pent up just lying around, I need to get out and start living like a normal person.” It had only been three days since leaving the hospital but I was pretty much over being treated like an invalid.

“I don’t mind,” he said, “If you think you’re up for it you can come along.”

“Ok, give me ten minutes to put something on,” I said, climbing out of my seat and heading up the stairs. I was still sore, but after a bit of walking around and some more rest I was feeling a lot better. Too bad my arm was still in a stupid cast.

I went into the master bedroom and pulled some clothes out, not really sure what I would normally wear out. Now that I was married to a popstar it seemed like my things were a bit nicer, although some of my favorite pieces were still hanging in the wardrobe.

I decided on a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt, the left sleeve barely sliding on over my cast. I pulled on some boots and then wandered back downstairs.

“Can you help me with something?” I asked Aston.

“Sure.”
“My hair, can you help me pull it back? It’s driving me nuts down in my face and my fingers are too numb still to manage it myself. Can’t really do it one handed.”

“Course,” Aston said, taking the hairbrush I passed him. Carefully he brushed through my long, straight brown hair a few times, pulling it back and tying it out of my face. It was weird, but as he did it I felt little faint flutters in my heart. My body was clearly reacting to his touch, and in that moment I started to believe that everything he was saying about us was true.

“There,” he said, stepping back in front of me, “That ok?”

“Perfect,” I smiled, not even bothering to look in a mirror. It was out of my face and that was all that really mattered.

I pulled on a thin coat and then followed him out to the car. We drove through our quiet neighborhood, my eyes locked on the other gorgeous homes around us. We really lived in a nice part of town, which surprised me because the last place I remember was my dingy flat with Brenda.

Once on the motorway, we started chatting. “So one thing,” Aston said, “And I know this is going to seem super weird what with everything going on…”
“What?”

“We’re married,” he said.

“Right.”
“And everyone knows we are.”
“Everyone?” I asked.

“I mean, you know… I’m sort of well known. And you’ll come along with me when he band is invited to big events, so there’s pictures of us. People know who you are.”
“They know who I am?” I asked. That seemed absolutely absurd to me. I was nobody.
“I know it’s a lot to take in, I should of mentioned it before we left but I spaced it.”

“So what are you saying?” I asked.

“Well… I haven’t told really anyone about our current situation,” he said, “My Mum yeah, but that’s really it.”

“Ok.”

“I’m just saying, if we wanted to keep this quiet… Maybe act like we’re fine?”
“Sure, ok,” I said.
“I don’t know if anyone will approach us,” Aston said, “If they do just be relaxed. You don’t have to say much, just smile and that. I’ll take care of things.”
“Sure.”
“I’m sorry this is awkward.”
“It’s fine,” I said, “Like you’ve said, we’ll figure this out. Maybe it’ll be good to be out like this. Like normal.”
“Exactly.”

We pulled up at a big Tesco and climbed out, Aston grabbing a shopping trolley and leading the way into the store. I let him take charge with the food selection, since he was the one that was going to be doing most of the cooking while I was in a cast.

“Chocolate time,” he said, pulling up to a display of chocolate bars, “What you want?”
“I have no idea,” I said, looking at the choices. Some I recognized, others not so much.

“How about we pick a few?”
“Ast!” I laughed, watching him throw five different chocolate bars in the trolley.

“Whatever,” he said, “I’m sure we’ll eat it all.”
“Probably.”

We paid at the front and then pushed our way out of the store towards the car with our things in plastic bags. The second we stepped out of the store I felt Aston grab my hand in his own, linking our fingers tight.

“What?” I said, surprised at his touch.

“Just act normal,” he said quietly, pushing the trolley with one hand and stopping at the car.

He quickly helped me into the car and then loaded things up, getting rid of the trolley and starting the car.

“What was that?”
“Paparazzi,” he sighed.

“What?!” I asked, shocked that they’d be after someone like me.