Part Eighty

I lay sprawled out in bed, on Aston’s side, awaiting his return from LA. I always stole his side when he was away because it smelled of him. I couldn’t help it that I missed him like crazy and did weird things to make it seem like he was still home.

“Oh sweetheart,” a voice sang in my ear, a hand on my back gently.

I opened one groggy eye, looking up at Aston’s grin. “Hey,” I whispered.

“You’re on my side.”
“I know,” I said, rolling over so I was on my own and watching Aston climb onto the bed beside me.

“I missed you,” Aston said, “I’m not letting you stay home ever again.”

“I missed you too,” I yawned, opening my eyes fully and smiling up at him, “I’m entirely too attached to you.”
“Same,” Aston said, leaning down and pressing a kiss against my lips.

“I got you a welcome home gift,” I said, raising my hand up to brush against his cheek.

“Where is it?!” he grinned, like a little boy. He was always so excited for surprises, bless him.
“It’s on the counter in the en suite,” I said, sitting up and watching him. I looked over at the clock; it was only half past six in the morning, on a Sunday no less. I didn’t really want to be awake, but I didn’t think I could wait much longer. I needed to know.

“A pregnancy test?” Aston asked, walking out of the en suite with the box in his hand, “Did you take it?”

“Not yet,” I said, reaching my hands out for it and ripping the box open, “But I’ve got a good feeling about this one.”
“Really?” he asked, his eyes lighting up.
“Yeah,” I said, “Let me go just…” I started, waving the test in my hand and brushing past him as I wandered into the en suit. I was becoming an old pro at sorting it all out, and within a minute I had the completed test sitting on the counter as I washed my hands and smiled at myself in the mirror. I was seriously glowing.

“What makes you think this time it’ll be positive?” Aston asked, coming and leaning on the doorframe of the en suite.

“Julia insists she’s right,” I said, “And I’ve been so exhausted this week, I can’t think of what else it could be.”

“Unless… like before.”
“This is different,” I smiled, talking Aston’s hand and squeezing it gently. A year prior we were about to take a test in LA, only for it to come out negative and for our worlds to come crashing down around us.

“I hope so,” Aston replied, brushing his lips against the back of my hand, “I can’t lose you like that again.”
“You won’t, I promise,” I said, leaning forward and pressing a kiss against his lips.

“I’m forever thankful that everything turned out ok,” he sighed, his arm wrapping around my shoulders and pulling me into his chest in a tight hug, “I couldn’t live this life without you.”

“I love you Ast,” I said into his shirt, my head resting against his chest. I could hear his heartbeat thudding out of control; his fingers were shaking slightly as they stroked my back. “Believe in it this time,” I told him.
“I’m just nervous.”
“I know, I can tell,” I giggled.

“You’re surprisingly calm.”
“Because I have a really good feeling about this,” I said, “You wanna do the honors? I think it’s time.”
“Let’s do it together,” Aston said, changing his hold on me so I was held against his side, his arm tight around my shoulders.

“Ready?”
“One… Two… Three…” Aston said, flipping the test over so we could see the result.

I felt my heart drop to the floor, staring at the picture in front of me.
“Oh my god.”
“We’re having a baby,” I said, tears welling in my eyes.

“Oh Jess,” Aston said, pulling me into a bone-crushing hug.
“Careful!” I laughed, wrapping my hands loosely around his waist.

“Sorry baby,” he grinned, one of his hands falling to my stomach.

“Are you happy?” I asked.

“Over the fucking moon,” Aston said, “Seriously Jess, I couldn’t have asked for anything better to come home to.”

“I couldn’t do it without you.”
“God I love you,” Aston grinned, pulling my chin up so he could press a scorching kiss against my lips.

We stood in the en suite for a while, just reveling in the excitement. We knew we still needed to see a doctor to confirm that the home test we did was right, but Aston and I both knew in that moment that it was. We were finally, after so much drama and bullshit, going to be parents.

It was like the last year didn’t exist and we were back in LA, doing the first test all over again. But the last year did happen. It had grown and matured us more than I ever thought possible. We were so much more ready to be parents now than ever before.

I let out a huge yawn and let Aston steer me back to bed, lying me down carefully as he stripped off some of his travel clothes and climbed in beside me.

“I’m still in shock,” he said, his hand falling to my stomach again. He couldn’t stop touching it, but I didn’t care. I wanted him to be close to our baby.

“I’m just so happy everything worked itself out,” I said, “This year has been such a rollercoaster… and I think we’ve finally found our happy ending.”
“Our happy beginning,” Aston whispered, kissing my neck as he pulled me close to him and held me tight.

“You’re right,” I sighed, tears falling down my cheeks again.

“Are you going to write a song about this?”
“Course,” I said, “I’ve got to finish out my masterpiece, remember?”

“So this moment right now… This is part five?”

“Yeah,” I said, twisting slightly to look Aston in the eye, “The grand finale. It goes from happiness and elation to sadness and a little bit of darkness… but in the end comes new life. Our happy beginning.”
“I can’t wait to hear it,” Aston whispered, kissing me again.

“It’s everything about us,” I told him, “That song. It’s all my love for you, and our family.”

The End.

--

Epilogue coming soon.