Chapter 24

“I’m sorry,” Lincoln said. “I assume you already know this, but I never meant to hurt you. Any of you.”

Ashley was taken aback by the unexpected apology from Lincoln. They've never really talked so she didn't even think about him feeling any obligation to approach her. Besides, how did he know that her head hurt because of him? She knew that when he was a Reaper, he wasn't himself, so Ashley was aware that he had to do that unintentionally, and he probably didn't remember much from it either. Unless Octavia talked to him about that. But why would she? 

"Um, I…That's fine" Ashley shook his hand, accepting the apology. "I don't hold any grudge if that's what you're worried about. I know you weren't yourself, so…" she shrugged. 

"I'm glad. How is your head now?" Lincoln asked politely. 

Once again Ashley was surprised. Why was that man so nice to her all of a sudden? She was throwing him death glares since the beginning, and now he's being polite? If she didn't feel bad earlier, she definitely felt bad now. 

"I'm fine. And…how are you? Cause you were in a pretty bad shape back then too" the blonde asked, but Lincoln didn't have time to answer, because Abby and Clarke started arguing. 

----------------------

After the heated exchange between mother and daughter, the atmosphere became even tenser than before. The more they were waiting, the less certain they were about their fate. Who knows, maybe Lexa wouldn't be merciful this time and they were gonna be all executed in front of the whole village? Most importantly, who stood behind all of this? For sure someone, who wasn't happy about the alliance. But that would make a lot of people here suspects. Ashley still remembered their faces when Sky People entered Tondc. They were missing an important puzzle and that could cost them their lives. 

Ashley closed her eyes, leaning her head back on the cold wall. She was wondering how come her head hasn't exploded yet. It wasn't just about the headache. No matter how hard she tried to turn her brain off, for her own good, everywhere she looked there was something that her mind caught and started to chew on immediately. She looked to her right, she saw Raven sitting by the table, talking to Bellamy. Ashley would never believe that Raven would try to mess up their newfound peace, no matter how hurt she was by what it took to create it. 

On the other side of the room sat Octavia and Lincoln, and Ashley didn't really know who she was more mad at - herself or Lincoln. Was she angry that she couldn’t just let herself like the guy? Or was she angry that Lincoln was so polite that it wasn’t so easy to despise him anymore? 

“Who would want her dead?” Kane’s voice pulled Ashley from her thoughts. She looked up as Lincoln approached him. 

“Too many to count,” he said. “Forming an alliance with you was a risk. Especially after what Finn did to this village.”

“It had to be someone trying to break the alliance” Octavia stated.

That seemed to be obvious. It was clearly a sabotage, but there were too many suspects to try and point fingers at people. And, if their fate wasn’t already decided, throwing unfounded accusations at the local residents would certainly get them killed. 

The door opened with a thud, and a few Grounders with Indra leading them, stepped into the room.

“How’s Gustus?” Lincoln asked.

“Gustus will live” Nyko looked at him from the corner of his eye. It seemed like no bond was strong enough to survive the possibility of betrayal.

Suddenly, Indra issued some order to the guards in their language, and they closed in on Raven, grabbing her by her arms, and trying to drag her outside.