Chapter 8

Everyone rushed to their positions. Ashley ran into one of the tunnels. Behind her were Jasper, Harper and Miller. Before they separated, Jasper and Ashley stopped for a second and did their secret handshake.

"Good luck, Goggles" blonde said and they went in opposite directions.

She got into the tunnel with Miller and they watched the area through the gap.

"How’s it going?" Miller asked scanning the area in front of them and positioning his gun.

Ashley raised her eyebrows. She looked at him amused and turned her head to look outside.

"An army of Grounders wants to kill us and we’re crawling in this hole, plus, I almost didn’t get any sleep last night. Never been better, Nathan" she scoffed, earning a chuckle from Miller.

"Hey" someone got inside, startling Ashley.

"God damn it, Octavia, I almost had a heart attack" blonde exhales with relief.

"Sorry" brunette sent her apologetic smile and sat between Ashley and Miller.

"How’s the situation?" she asked.

"Boring" Ashley muttered.

Suddenly, they heard Bellamy’s voice from the radio. "All foxholes, listen up. Hold them back as long as you can. Make them turn back. That's the plan. Good luck."

Ashley scoffed. "Any other great advice, boss?" she muttered and heard Octavia chuckling.

"So, we’re waiting?" Ashley asked looking at Octavia and Miller.

"Yeah, I guess" Nathan replied.

------------------------------------------------

It was late at night when Ashley and Miller, along with Monroe were standing on top of the wall.

"What’s going on?" Bellamy joined them.

"Grounders" Miller said.

"Where’s Octavia?" Blake asked.

"She left five minutes ago. Of course, she didn’t say where to" Ashley replied, focused on the area in front of them.

"She thinks she’s a damn samurai" Miller scoffed.

"What are they waiting for?" Monroe said confused.

"The longer, the better. This is about buying time for Raven" Bellamy replied.

Suddenly, someone exclaimed through the radio: "I see them! There’s one, two, three…wait, no, there are four! I don’t know, there’s too many of them!"

They heard a shot and Bellamy asked: "Who was that?"

"Sterling, I think" Ashley responded.

"South foxhole! South foxhole, report now!" Bellamy tried contacting the gunner.

"Yeah, yeah. We’re okay" Sterling reported. "They didn’t attack. It’s like shooting at ghosts."

Ashley started to get anxious. She didn’t know what will happen if Grounders really will attack. Will she have the guts to pull the trigger?

The fact that Ashley had second thoughts right now was kinda funny. She was running around with a gun for a long time and knew the responsibility that she took with it.

But on the other side, blonde knew, it was the only way to survive. Either, she’ll shoot, or she’ll be dead.

"There!" Monroe’s voice shook her out of her trance.