Chapter 14

After getting Bellamy and Mel safely to the ground, they finally had a moment to rest. Murphy was sitting on the side, Bellamy was next to him, taking care of Mel’s arm. Finn spread the map they had from the grounder on some box and was studying it again. Octavia was dealing with Monroe’s injured leg and Ashley was sitting next to them, looking at how brunette was working (and stealing a glance or two at her face, that blonde really missed for the past few days).

Ashley noticed that something was off with her. But before she had a chance to ask, Monroe spoke up. "Thank God you came when you did."

"I was going back to camp when I heard shots" Octavia said, not looking up from her work. "Okay, done."

"Thanks" Monroe smiled at her.

Octavia turned to Ashley, who was still sitting silently next to them with an arrow sticking out of her leg and shook her head with sigh. "So now you’re copying me?"

Ashley smiled slightly and shrugged. "I just wanted to be as cool as you, you know?"

Octavia scoffed, amused. "I have to take it out" she motioned to the arrow. "It’s best when you do it without warning, so-"

"Ah, goddamnit!" Ashley cursed and saw that Octavia was holding the arrow that a second ago was still in her leg.

"You’re welcome" brunette said and got to work, bandaging her friend’s wound. Again, Ashley was silently watching Octavia for a while.

"What’s got you so silent, Ash?" green eyed girl asked.

"Sorry, I'm just tired" blonde replied. "I'm sure I'll get to hear what I missed later" Octavia murmured with her eyes still fixed at Ashley's leg.

Ashley fell silent again and looked down. "Yeah, there will be a lot to talk about."

She saw in the corner of her eye that Monroe glanced at her, probably knowing what she's thinking right now. Octavia sensed the change in the atmosphere and looked up with a frown. "What’s wrong?"

Blonde clenched her jaw and inhaled deeply through her nose. Before she could say anything, Murphy walked up to them.

"Nice foghorn. What happened to your boyfriend?" he asked casually, reaching for Octavia’s horn. She immediately swatted his hand away.

"Go away, Murphy" Ashley glared at him. He responded with the same gesture.

"He’s gone" Octavia said looking down.

"Right" Murphy murmured and left.

Ashley frowned. Lincoln was gone? But how? He was this big, strong Grounder. He always found his way out of many hard situations. She might not adored him but she had respect for him and really felt for Octavia.

She reached out and put her hand on Octavia’s. Their eyes met and Ashley saw the pain and sadness in green ones.

"I’m sorry" she said quietly to her friend. Brunette just nodded.

"Hey" Bellamy crouched next to them. "I’m sorry, O" he said to his sister.

Octavia looked at him for a moment and, again, just nodded. Then, she stood up and said "The Grounders will be back, so we need to go. Now."

She gave a hand to Ashley and helped her get up. Blonde winced when she tried to stand on her left leg, so she quickly gave up on this idea. Octavia seeing this, looked around and found a branch that Ashley could use to support herself.

"Thanks, O" blue eyed girl smiled gratefully at her friend.

"Yes, we do" said Finn, referring to what brunette had said. Bellamy, Octavia and Ashley walked over to him.