Chapter 19

Ashley, Clarke and Finn were on their way back to Camp Jaha. As soon as they went through the gates, they saw people pacing back and forth and guards trying to guide them in the right direction. They also noticed Abby and Jaha standing nearby.

"Mom!" Clarke called out to the woman. When Abby saw them, she immediately ran to her daughter.

"Where have you been? We're leaving" she said and her eyes lingered on Ashley's forehead. "What happened?"

"It's nothing" Ashley shook her head quickly.

"I'll take care of it" Clarke said. "Mom. I know how to stop the attack" she announced turning to her mother.

"What are you talking about?" Jaha scoffed from behind Abby. He was seriously getting at Ashley's nerves.

"We haven't been able to negotiate with Grounders because we haven't had anything to offer to them. The biggest threat they face is from the Reapers. I think we may be able to eliminate that threat from them once and for all" Clarke explained.

"How?" Abby asked.

Jaha stepped in again with his arms crossed on his chest.

"Abby, you can't seriously-"

"Over there!"

They heard someone yelling. Second later, more people started calling out to each other and pointing something in the distance. When Ashley turned to where they were pointing, her eyes widened.

It started with a one light. Then, suddenly there were hundreds of lights that shined behind gates of their camp.

Torches.

And behind each one was a Grounder with a clear purpose - kill the intruders.

Jaha slowly walked closer to the gate.

"They're here."

---------------------------------------------------------

"They're not attacking, which means we still have time" Clarke said.

Her, Ashley, Finn, Abby and Jaha were inside the main building, discussing the plan. Ashley's wound was already stitched up by Clarke, but she still had a terrible headache. Blonde hoped it was nothing and it'll just pass.

"We have two hours until dawn" Abby informed them.

"Let me talk to the commander" Clarke looked at her mother, hopeful. "She was Anya’s second. Maybe she’ll listen."

Jaha, who was sitting in some chair in the back of the room, butted into the conversation. "We don’t even know if the commander’s here."

"Yes we do" Finn said. "Nyko told us. You have to at least let her try."

"Abby, we’re wasting time" Jaha got up from his seat, annoyed. "Give me the authority, now."

Ashley furrowed her eyebrows, hearing it. She was surprised Abby was letting him talk to her like that, considering she was the one in charge now.

"Hold on" Abby stopped him and turned to her daughter. "Clarke, you said that Lincoln is going through withdrawal. We don’t even know what he’s withdrawing from. The detox alone could kill him."

"That’s where you come in" Clarke told her.

"And if I can’t save him?"

"That’s not an option."

"We are risking everything on a bluff?" Jaha was getting more and more irritated. "Abby, we have an out. We have a way to save the lives of our people."