Chapter 4: Denver

"Still no grade!" I groaned and plopped back down onto my pillow. "Three days and no news from the test."

"Maybe you did well?" Reeve offered, not taking his eyes off the socks he was knitting.

"Pft. Highly doubt that." Reeve sent a displeased look in Cole's direction. Cole just raised his hands up, "What academics is not where your strengths are at Denver."

"Fair enough." Was all I said,  that was enough for Cole, he put the digital glasses on and went back to his game. 

"I'm sure it's nothing, Mr. Barnes is just probably busy," Reeve affirmed. 

"But it's unlike him to leave it two days late, doesn't father need them by the next fifteen hours they're returned?"

"I didn't get one!" Cole muttered from his game.

"Did you check?" Reeve asked causing Cole to shrug. Reeve rolled his eyes turning back to Denver. "It's actually twenty, and I'm sure everyone in the manor is busy with trial preparations. Your grades going to come, relax. Have more faith in yourself, I was up studying with you all night."

"Yeah and thanks for that, it's just unlike the grading system to give you guys a grade before me." I plopped down onto the bed sighing. 

"Relax, why don't you focus on something else, like...." Reeve thought for a moment, "Aha! How's Truth doing? She hasn't come out of her room." That was another thing on my mind. Truth and I told each other everything, but I couldn't help but feel that she was hiding something. Which really shouldn't bother me so much, she's allowed to have thoughts to herself, but the fact she's locked herself in the room for the past two days scares me. 

"I tried visiting her, but I got sent away by Vi who said she was just feeling sick."

"Aww. Maybe I'll give these socks to her." Reeve looked down sadly at his multicolored socks.

"No offense, but I don't think anyone wants those. I mean I wouldn't, even if my foot was just a block of ice ready to fall off." Cole said as he flung his hand out, absorbed in the game. 

There was a long pause as Reeve just glared the light-haired boy down. "I know you lack common logic and the ability to think before you speak, so I will let that one go." Reeve simply turned his back on me, setting the knitting project down. Cole snickered in response. 

"Maybe you should check on her again." Cole offered. 

"Yeah okay, I'll go ask Zara for some soup. See you two for dinner!"

"Bye!" The boys chirped together.

┈┈┈┈․° ☣ °․┈┈┈┈

Knock, knock. I gently knocked against the blacked-out glass door. She had sleeping mode on, so I wasn't sure if she was even awake. When a few moments passed, I decided to head back to my room and return later. 

"Denver?" I was so shocked to hear that strange weak voice come out of the strong familiar person that is Truth. And Vi wasn't kidding when she said Truth was feeling ill. Her skin looked a pale green, despite her dark golden complexion. Her cheeks were hollowed and darkness bruised under her eyes and other cracks of her face.

"Hey. Ummm," I cleared my throat and held out the container of warm soup. "I brought you some vegetable soup, no spice because that won't help you're throat or stomach so I asked Zara to use some-"

Truth made a weak laugh which turned into a dry croaking cough. "Thanks." She finally managed and the door opened up wider as she stepped away and walked back into her room.