Chapter 13: Adara

Swinging my plait over my shoulder I got up from the office chair. My neck and hands cramped from writing. Despite being the only star child here, I still worked hard. Cole didn't come back yet from wherever he had to go. 

Father wouldn't tell me either, but it didn't matter. Being alone with dad meant I was favored over all the other Earth kids. It felt nice, Vi was always so judgmental with her gaze. Reeve was always one step ahead of me and seemed to have this perfect life. Even Truth and Denver never got me. It seemed as though no one could see eye to eye with me. 

I had more respect for Cole after we talked more. I became excited to speak to him before bed and during the times we weren't studying. But a selfish part of me saw him as competition, a threat. Probably because of the trials, or it could've been something more. As long as father saw I wouldn't crumble under all the pressure and change. There was no doubt I would get rewarded as the golden star-child. 

"Adara!" I heard my father's voice from outside the hall. Rolling my neck once again I walked out and towards his voice. 

"Father?" I questioned looking at his suit. He hadn't worn a full suit in months. His smile was bright and brought some ease to my worried mind. 

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I'll be out for a bit. I have businesses to take care of." I nodded. 

"How long?" I asked when he didn't say anything else. 

"Only a week." I nodded once again. "Is your schooling done?" Father motioned to the open office door. 

"Yes!" I exclaimed craving the praise from him. He came over, pulling me into a hug. 

"I'll be back before you know it." I nodded against his chest. Something in my gut told me that this could have something to do with the missing Earth Children or Cole. But I chose not to say anything. 

"I'll miss you," I said as I pulled away. 

"Me too." Brushing a hand through my hair he spun around waving. I followed him out to the door where those strange vehicles were waiting. None were allowed on the Earth grounds but sometimes they came to escort people out into the woods and beyond. 

He waved once again before seating himself in. I turned around and shut the door hearing the automatic lock. I was more disappointed that I wouldn't be able to spend time outside considering the door did not unlock from the inside or outside unless father changed it. 

I tried just in case, and to my expectation, it would not budge. Wandering around the house I did everything I could to pass the time. Always feeling more comfortable with schedules, I marked the times I would do everything for the remainder of the day. Pulling out my journal I began writing. 

1. ℱ𝒾𝓃𝒾𝓈𝒽 ℯ𝓍𝓉𝓇𝒶 𝓈𝒸𝒽ℴℴ𝓁𝒾𝓃ℊ 

2. ℛℯ𝒶𝒹

3. ℰ𝒶𝓉 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉ℯ𝓋ℯ𝓇 𝒻ℴℴ𝒹 𝒻𝒶𝓉𝒽ℯ𝓇 𝓁ℯ𝒻𝓉

4. 𝒫𝓇ℯ𝓅𝒶𝓇ℯ 𝒻ℴ𝓇 𝒷ℯ𝒹

5. 𝒮𝓁ℯℯ𝓅

I stared down at my list thinking of any other activities I could add. When mo others came I pinned the note up on my wall and began schooling. 

Time flew by as I followed my schedule step by step, crossing off any task I completed as I went. I finished the plate of vegetables that were left. Not feeling quite filled enough, but I was feeling exhausted and didn't want to take any of tomorrow's food. 

I hummed quietly to myself as my fingers worked on the ties of my nightgown. It was not until I was finally in bed for a minute that all the lights in the manor shut off. My breathing calmed and my lips lifted at the warmth my sheets gave me. Making sleep come easier.