Chapter 9: Cole

Father stayed longer than anticipated. He never left, and if he did it was only to his office for an hour or so to do work. I was left to do whatever I felt. And after three days of the nightmares, I finally spoke to my father. I told him everything. All of what I could remember of the dreams, my breathing, the daydreaming to escape all of it. 

My father simply listened, not saying a word until I was done. That's when it happened. His arms wrapped around me and his warmth spread to me as he hugged me. It didn't feel like those awkward hugs I'd be forced to give one of the star children when we got into arguments when we were younger. But it wasn't a friendship one either. It felt like a father's touch.

Tears sprung to my eyes each time I thought of it. For six years I have lived the contact sweating, the headaches, the freakouts, and the nightmares. But here I was finally better all for one hug. 

A knock on the door snapped me back into reality. Nearly dropping the book I held on my face I shut it not bothering to mark the first page I struggled to focus on for too long. "Yes?" I called to whoever was on the other side. 

"Cole it's me." Adara's voice filled the room. We had spoken more and more this past week and I got to learn more about her that I wouldn't have known. Guilt coursed through me as I heard of her struggle. Why did I hate her so much? "Can I come in?" Adara awkwardly muttered.

Shit. I thought, looking down at my exposed upper body. I grabbed the shirt I had thrown onto the floor two hours ago and made my way to the door. I slid it open and looked down at Adara. Her silence made my palms sweat as I looked for something to say. 

"W-what's up?" I scratched the back of my neck, looking anywhere but her eyes. 

"Are you okay?" She s scrunched her eyebrows.

No? "Yes?" Adara simply raised an eyebrow at me. "Okay fine, I don't know. It's stupid it just feels like everything changing so fast." Adara leaned against the door frame crossing her arms.

She smiled, lifting her rounded cheeks revealing two dimples at the sides. "But for the better." I nodded, not knowing for sure if I truly agreed. But I did. I had to, father loved me enough to keep me with him. If he didn't he would've done something to me by now. "It's time for dinner by the way." And with that she spun on her heel, her brown ponytail whipping around. 

I followed after her remaining silent. The house felt bigger than it ever did before. The big windows were not covered with drapes, which should've made the space feel smaller but it felt big yet suffocating at the exact same time. 

"There you two are!" Smiled father as he set down a large bowl of soup. Adara gave him a sideways hug commenting on the smell of the fresh bread. Father said something causing her to laugh. "Cole?" Father asked, both his and Adara's eyes on me. 

"Looks, great dad," I said smiling. The smile returned to fathers face as he sat down at the table pouring Adara some of the soup. 

"How's work?" Adara said as she arranged the platters of food so the salad was now in front of her. 

Dad chuckled. "Tiring. But I get it done." 

"How's school for you two?" Why bother?  I wanted to say but kept my mouth shut as Adara went on a long rant about a new book she had found. But what I thought was true, as he watched over all our schooling and knew our grades. But he was also our father and just wanted to hear it from us. Once Adara was finished I mentioned the art I had been studying. 

We all sat in silence, besides the small talk between dad and Adara, sometimes they would direct questions from me forcing me to give a bland short answer and then return to my food. Adara finished wiping herself down and then took her and dads plates to the kitchen.