Chapter 16: Denver

Truth had her hair braided when I walked into the room. A few curled strands poked out. Due to the chill whether she had a light cardigan Reeve brought her wrapped around herself. She went to take a bite out of some stew when her eyes snapped to mine, mouth wide open. "You're here!" I laughed and walked over, removing my coat and laying it on a chair. 

"Yeah, it's been exactly twenty-four hours since I've seen you."

"twenty-three." She corrected and tried her best to pull me into a hug beyond the chords and bags she was strapped to. 

"Careful." I hissed and gently wrapped my arms around her. 

Truth rolled her eyes, and the gesture made me happier than anyone could imagine. just seeing her so like herself made my days. "You act like I'll break any moment."

"You were shot."

"And I'm alive!" She joked laughing as she brought the stew back into her lap. 

"What is that?"

"I don't know some potatoes, cauliflower.... this." She held up a long green piece and made a face before stuffing it into her mouth. 

"You seem better." I gently nudged her with my hip as I got into the bed.

"Ready to leave soon."

"Oh, that reminds me!" I untangled myself from the bed and got up as Truth watched me with an amused expression. I searched through my coat pockets rummaging through the discarded trash and ID's. "Aha!" I held up the shiny new key Echo had brought in. "I declare thee, Truth Taurus of The House of Earth..." I paused and stepped forward kneeling a bit like they did in the medieval stories. "An official roomie. And the first girl at that." Truth mocked a bow and took the key from my hands. 

"That's so fun!" 

"Ronan's working to get all your scan work set up, but for now all you need is the ID." I motioned to the card on her bedside."

"How is it?" Truth's face dropped, not sadness... I couldn't read what ti was actually. It looked more remorseful as if you were remembering a bitter-sweet memory. 

"I-uh. What?" I stumbled for the answer to the vague question. 

"The outside." She mimicked with her hands. Using the name we coined for the 'land beyond the wall'. 

"It's pretty good. You'd like it." I got back into the cot and stretched my arms behind my head. 

"But will they like me?" 

"Who?" I demanded a little too aggressively. The thought of anyone thinking an ill-thought of Truth had me angry. 

"I don't know. Everyone." Her eyes never met mine, solely trained on the key in her hands. 

"Truth." I laughed. "Everyone will love you, the world just doesn't know us star children. But we all get each other, you'll find your place." She finally looked up at me. 

"Will you come with me whenever I go out, just until I get comfortable?" I sighed and slung a playful arm over her shoulder. 

"Of course." She gently rested her head against my shoulder. And in that moment, it felt like home. I almost- for only a second contemplated running out of the building and straight onto the train as far as it would take me to the House of Earth. Where I would throw open the door and beg father for forgiveness. But the sound of medical beeps and the feeling of Truth on my side reminded me of who that man truly was. 

The whole father role was simply a mask to keep us all there as his little puppets. "Denver." Truth's voice brought me out of my thoughts. 

"Oh yeah sorry." She shook her head and a deep understanding flashed in those hazel eyes. I pulled a bit on her ponytail causing her to laugh once more. It was nice to hear that noise again, Reeve and I would try not to make too many jokes while we were with her because even though she hid it, we could still ee it hurt.