Chapter Twenty

Dedicated to @lazycupcake for adding my story onto your reading list :)

.....

That night I didn't get much sleep. All I could think about is the abuse Eric went through and could still be going through. I've met Eric's father before, and he's buffer than Eric so just imagine his hits on Eric. And every move Eric made on me, probably was learned from his father. I thought about how Eric pleaded for my forgiveness and how I had forgiven him so quickly. Once you know the story, everything changes.

I tossed and turned on my bed before I gave up on getting sleep. So I just laid awake on my bed; trying to rest. I counted down from one hundred and it didn't work. So I get up for a warm glass of milk.

Down stairs in the kitchen I'm surprised to see my mother awake. She's sitting on a stool with her back turned to me. I can see her reading papers with the small amount of light from a lamp and the moon.

"Mom?" Mom jumps a little but calms down when she sees its just me.

"Honey, what are you doing awake?" I look at my mom with tired eyes that match hers. No matter what time of the day she's ready to care for me. She's doing so much for me and I don't thank her enough.

"I couldn't sleep." Mom gets up from her seat and warms up a cup of milk for me. While she does that I read the papers on the counter. They look like bills.

"Mom, is everything ok?"

"Of course, honey. You don't need to worry about anything." I can tell that she's lying but I don't push it. I can see that she has enough on her plate, I don't want to trouble her.

"Ok." She hands me my cup of warm milk and we make our way upstairs to my room. I drink my milk and when I'm done we both lay down on the bed. Mom strokes my hair and speaks, "I remember when you were younger I used to do this. A bad dream or you just couldn't sleep; warm milk would do the trick and you would sleep like an angel. I remember your father-" she stops herself before she says anything more. Even though I'm tired I want to remember more good things about my father. A man I have not seen in almost 11 years.

"Do you miss him? Because I sometimes do." Mom stiffens but answers anyway, "Despite what he did, I will always love him. He was my first love actually. So, yes I still miss him. As much as I did when he left." I nod. My eyes are almost closed but I fight to stay awake. I want to know more.

"Can you tell me how you fell in love with him?"

"That's a story for another time. I can tell you're tired."

"No I'm no-" I yawn.

"Stubborn. Like your father." I can hear the love in her voice when she says this.

"I love you mom." Mom kisses my forehead. Before I'm fully asleep I hear my mother say, "I love you more."

After that all I had was good dreams. My mom was in most of them. Others was with me and Eric but it was all happy times. He wasn't all bad. It was just that summer. The summer he changed. But I don't want to dwell on that. I want to carry on the happy memories.

So that's what I'll do. I'll forget about Adam. I'll forget about Eric. And I'll just live a happy life with Chase, Tifanny, and my loving mom. And maybe even one day, my father will be in the picture too.

The End :)