Chapter Twenty-five

"Wake up, Diane."

"Just a few more minutes," I mumble. I hear a male voice laugh and I sit up and rub my eyes.

"Good morning." My vision clears and I see my father.

"Dad?"

"I made you with your mother didn't I?" He gives me a smile and I try to smile too.

"Didn't you leave me when I was 6?"

"Don't be silly. I'd never leave my wonderful wife and my lovely daughter. Now get ready for school." I suddenly see an apron appear on him. "I'm making pancakes, your favorites." He walks out of the room and I get up.

I do my usual morning routine and I walk back into my room. I pick out a outfit for the day and notice that I have baby fat. When did that get there?

"Honey, you've got to come and eat breakfast! Most important meal of the day!" I hear mom shout from downstairs. Doesn't she usually leave for work at this time?

I walk downstairs to find dad with a newspaper in his hand and coffee on the other. My plate is set and my mom is almost done with her own breakfast. I study my plate; two pancakes, five slices of bacon, two fried eggs and a glass of cold chocolate milk. I would never eat this.

I eat some of it anyway and when I'm done I push my plate away. My parents look at me weirdly. "That's all you're having?" I look at my pancake, 3 slices of bacon and nearly untouched eggs. "Yes." I get up from my chair and grab my book bag.

"I'll see you later." I kiss my mom and dad's cheek. I walk to school to meet Tifanny. But when I get there I see faces I don't recognize.

"Diane, over here!" I hear someone call out to me and I turn my head to see two people waving at me enthusiastically. One is blonde and the other has black hair. Both really pretty but both unknown to me.

"Hi," I say when I walk to them. "I'm going to finish up my homework at the library," I tell them because I'm thinking they're my friends but I don't know them.

"We don't have a library," they say at the same time. Now that I see them up close they look identical except for their hair color.

"Sorry, I mean... one of the teachers to help me out."

"Ok..." they say slowly then walk away. I sigh out of relief but then worry again. I don't know these people. I don't know this school. And now that I think about it the house I was in isn't the one I live in in California. I'm not even in California. I'm in New York. I'm living in the house I used to live in in New York. I start freaking out.

So I don't live in California anymore. I don't go to the same school I used to. How did I even get to school by myself? And my friends. Oh god Tifanny. I check my phone and I'm relieved to see that I have her phone number. I send her a text and my breathing stops at her response, who is this? I tell her who I am and I'm almost in tears when she says she doesn't know a Diane and that I have the wrong number.

I turn on my heal and blindly make my way out of school. I end up at a street that I don't know of and start to panic. Tears start to poor out of my eyes and I wipe them away with the back of my hand. And I'm lucky to see Chase. At least I still have him.

"Chase!" I call out and he turns around confused.

"How do you know my name?"

"Wh-what do you mean? You're my friend. You said that you were stuck to me like super glue and that you'd never leave me."

"I'm sorry but I don't know what you're talking about." I start crying all over again and this time I can't stop. I see the panic in Chase's eyes but I can't seem to stop.