Chapter Two

I looked at myself in the mirror for the 10th time that day. But instead of me standing in just my undergarments and that stupid voice in my head pressuring me to eat less and calling me ugly I was clothed with a sparkly strapless black dress that reached mid-thigh. I added red four inch heels that matched my bracelet, earrings, and necklace. My makeup was simple: black eye shadow, liquid eyeliner, mascara, concealer, and some blush. Anyone would see me as sexy or hot but no one would ever call me beautiful.

"Diane? Where are you honey?"

"In my room, mom!" I hear foot steps going up the stairs and the opening of my bedroom door.

"You're going somewhere?" She looked at my dress and then back up to my face but didn't say anything.

"Yeah. Eric is taking me to his friend's party. Said it was gonna be fun."

"Oh?" I nodded. She sighed.

"Well, have fun. And don't come home too late I want you to get more rest and I don't want you drinking anything. I worry about you."

"You worry about me too much." I tease.

"I'm your mother."

"I know. And I love you. Besides, Eric will keep me safe if anything happens."

"Ok." I knew she wanted to say something but held back. Instead she sighed. "Now go. Don't want to keep your friends waiting don't you?" I grinned and gave her a hug. She squeezed me so hard it hurt and I thought for sure that she could feel all my bones and how weak I was but she hid her emotions well when I pulled back.

"I guess I'll go now." I waved and grabbed my clutch and put my house keys in it. I didn't own a car because we weren't able to afford it. Ever since my dad left us it was my mom and I on our own with no one else to help. I just walked everywhere I needed to go or used a cab if it was too far and I never minded this but now it's not as easy as it was before. I get tired more easily on my walks and it takes longer than before.

I hugged my jacket closer to my body when the wind started blowing. It wasn't really cold outside but I didn't like the wind touching my skin so much. It was in the middle of February and I was used to this temperature of California since I was 7.

Walking down the block I could hear the music from the big house at the address Eric gave me. There were red plastic cups on the lawn and couples making out as well as smoking. I could see the house had a backyard and wondered if it had a pool. Not that I would swim in it anyway. Not after I was drowned in one.

I step into the house and see that it looks bigger than it looks on the outside. I guess I've stepped into the living room because the couches, chairs, and tables were pushed up against the wall to make a dance floor and the speakers are in the corner of the room. Walking deeper into the house and side stepping teenage dancers I find myself in the kitchen. The music is loud but I still hear some of the conversations.

"Beer?" A tall blonde blue eyed guy asks with a bottle of beer in his left hand and I take the one on his right.

"Thanks," I mumble. I wasn't really in the mood to small talk so I just drink and nod to the guy next to me before making up some excuse to leave. Eric needs to know I showed up before he's too drunk and forgets. I don't want what happened last time to happen again.

I spot his messy brown hair and set of green eyes but he hasn't seen me yet. He's too occupied by the blonde sitting on his lap and flirting. I don't know why, but I get mad. He's done this to me before and I haven't really gotten mad because I knew what type of guy he was. But I was sick of being used and getting pushed around. I was sick and tired of everything and the only emotion I had was anger and sadness.

He saw me when he moved his head to the side but he didn't look like he was going to push her off of him. No, instead he smirked and made out with her. Right. there. In. front. of. me.

The tears in my eyes made my vision blur and there was no way I wanted him to see me so weak so I blindly made my way out into the backyard.

Outside was quieter than being in the house. The music sounded distant and it looked like a great place to think while looking up at the sky or just dipping your feet into the pool and watch the lights.

But I didn't do either of that. Instead I ran behind one of the trees and crouched down onto the green grass.

I just knew he would do something like this. I knew he would turn out to be just like Adam. I just feel like I'm supposed to live in heart break and never be happy. And no one notices the pain I go through.

But I wasn't thinking then because Adam had messed me up so bad and by the time I figured out I should leave Eric there was no way out. I was already sucked in. He was like a drug. I knew he was bad for me but I just couldn't let him go. He would hurt me in more ways than one but I would keep coming back.

But not this time. I'm not gonna be his bitch any more. He can go find another doll to play with.

With the knew feeling of courage I wipe my tears away and decide that it's finally the time I break up with him.

I see him grinding up against a girl but it's not the same one. This time she's shorter and has pink strips in her brunette hair. They seem to be enjoying themselves.

"Eric!" I yell over the music. He doesn't hear me at first so after a few times I punch his shoulder and I finally have his attention.

"We're through." I yell loud enough so he can hear me and I don't have to repeat myself and make my dramatic exit. He's too shocked and I move too quick for him to grab my arm and drag me somewhere to make me take back what I said.

I mentally pat myself in the back for how great I did things and I congratulate myself for not getting drunk so I'm able to walk home without any trouble and before midnight.

After a few blocks in my heels it's too much pain to take so I slip them off and sit at the curb for a while to replay this nights events. I never thought I could do something as bold as break up with Eric. And this makes me smile.

With the new energy I have I start to walk again but someone grabs me from behind. And the touch is so familiar I start to freak out.

No. It can't be him. He's in jail for five more years he can't be out now.

"Long time no see, bitch."