Chapter 1

Alan's POV
Well, so far my first three days had been, well, shit. I'd been pushed and shoved in the halls, on purpose, too many times to count, and I had two bruises that had formed on my arm from colliding with walls, lockers, doors, whatever they fancied shoving me into to prove it. I'd had every single ginger joke and insult thrown at me you could imagine. They didn't bother me too much, I'd heard them a million times before, no one could be original these days...just like with the short jokes. For a guy I was pretty small, I was skinny and only stood at about 5ft 8, so yeah, I got them too. I'd been called other things like, emo kid, been told to go slit my wrists, called loser, loner, and names implying I didn't know how to form a proper sentence. I'd also had all the gay insults thrown at me, although no one knew I was gay, so god knows why. They probably had run out of ideas. The worst of the jerks so far, I found out where called Ronnie and Vic. I'd had Math with them, but Shayley warned me there where two more, Austin and Danny. According to Shayley, Austin was in none of his classes, and while me and Shayley shared most of the classes, there where classes I had like Art, Chemistry and History we didn't share, so I was bound to meet him in one of those no doubt. It would be just my luck after all. As for Danny, he was in the lowest set for everything, dumb as a stick apparently, and as I wasn't in any of the lower set classes for anything, so at least I could be sure I'd have no classes with him.

The only, sort of good thing was that Shayley seemed okay, not someone I intend on getting friendly with, I didn't want friends. Friends only end up turning on you, like mine had soon as I left town. I'd tried contacting my old friends since moving, but every single one of them ignored me. But he was okay to hang around with so I could at least have someone to work with in most classes if we needed a partner and someone to sit with at lunch. We seemed to have similar tastes in films, music, TV shows and he seemed the quite type, like me, and the bullies liked to target him too, so I figured I may as well not be a total loner.

I was in the middle set, like Shayley for most of my classes, hence why we shared classes, we where both in the higher set for music, but Shayley stayed in the middle set for Art, History and Chemistry while I was in the higher. They where my three best subjects, I loved art, I've been drawing since I can remember, it was an escape for me I guess, along side playing guitar. History, I didn't love it, but I found a lot of it interesting and I seemed good at it. Chemistry, I didn't actual like chemistry at all, but I was good at it. Those three lessons where going to suck a little without Shayley, especially Chemistry, because in Chemistry, you usually get put with a partner...meaning I'm actually going to have to talk and interact with one of these other people I pass in the hall, and I really didn't want to do that. I barely wanted to interact with Shayley, let alone someone who would probably be a simple minded jerk, or would just have nothing in common with me whatsoever.

"Watch it, gayley!" Vic sneered has he knocked into Shayley, using his shoulder to knock Shayley onto the floor. More like Vic should've watched it, given it was Vic who went into to Shayley...on purpose.
"Here..." I held out my hand, offering to help him up, which he took with a small smile, hoisting himself up.
"Thanks, I hate him, he's a freaking hypocrite too."
"How so?"
"Well, he called me Gayley...yet he's the one banging some boy called Kellin in the year below us, so therefore making him gay. But yet clearly, because he's popular and comes from a rich family, it's socially acceptable for him to be gay, but because I'm from a lower class, single parent household and I'm just some 'emo kid' it's not okay for me too be. Society is fucked up."
"Tell me about it. Wait, uh, you're gay?"
"Oh, yeah." He gave a gentle nod, before looking down at his feet as if he was ashamed of it.
"That's cool." I shrugged and lowered my voice. "I am too, but I'm not out...not here anyway."
"Oh? Okay, I won't say anything don't worry." He looked back up and gave me a small smile.
"Thanks." I gave him a small smile back.
"Okay, so here's your Art class, Mrs Jardine's pretty cool so you should be fine. I'll meet  you here after and we can go to last period together, as it's Geography, which we're in the same class for."
"Sure." I nodded. "See you after class."
"Cool." He shot a smile before turning around and heading off to his class, leaving me to enter my class room.