Chapter 2

"So, how was your first week at school?" My nana asked as we sat eating dinner at the table, just like we did every Friday night...or well every night actually, it was nice I guessed.
"Alright." I shrugged.
"Make any friends?" My grandad asked looking up at me.
"Um, kinda, I guess, this Shayley kid who's showing me around is okay."
"How are the classes?"
"They're fine Nana, I like my art teacher, she's nice."
"Well good, I know it's hard to settle in a new school, especially so late, and after what you've been though, but give it time okay dear? Besides you only have this year, and next, and then you're off to college." My Nana smiled sweetly, I hadn't even thought about college. I was too busy focusing on trying to survive high school.
"Have you looked at colleges yet?"
"Not yet." I sighed. "I will soon."
"The sooner the better dear. Now, are you done with your dinner?"
"Yes Nana, thank you."
"You're welcome dear." She kissed the top of my head and took my plate out of the kitchen.
"Is it okay if I go up to my room, I want to get an early night, I start at the music store tomorrow."
"Of course, we'll see you in the morning." My grandad nodded, I yelled a goodnight to my Nana before darting up the stairs.

I flopped on my bed with a loud sigh, I loved my grandparents, but sometimes I wished they weren't so nosey. All week it's been 'how's school' or 'are you making friends', or 'what are your teachers like' and things like that. Of course, I had to lie, I couldn't say 'I hate it' and 'no but I don't want friends' and 'teachers suck, except my art teacher' and 'It's my own personal hell' etc. I guessed my first week hadn't been awful, it could've been worse, but people didn't seem as nice in this school. It was only time before the big bullies came out of hiding and no doubt started using me as target practice. I was the new kid, and I was quite, I kept myself to myself and I wore hoddies, in California, in the middle of summer...I was the perfect target, it was enivitable. But like my Nana said, I only had to get through this year and next, and then I was free to do whatever I wanted.

I'd taken this job at a small local music shop simply because I wanted to start earning money I could put away into a savings account. No offence to my grandparents, but once I turned eighteen, or soon as I had the money too, I had every intention on moving back to Boston. Not that I didn't like it in California, it was nice here, but I missed Boston. I missed being able to go to my parents graves, well mostly my mom's and just sit and talk to her. It made me feel a little better when I did that. Of course, in a way, it made me miss her more, but at the same time it made me feel better. Here I felt so far away from her, and I didn't like that feeling at all. It was only a Saturday job, my grandparents wouldn't let me work Sundays too, because they worried about it effecting my school work. But that was okay, it was a job, it was money, the pay was okay for someone my age, and it involved music. And the boss, Oliver, Sykes I think is last name was, said during school brakes I could take up as many hours as I wanted too, so it was a start.

I was about to loose myself in a game of Resident Evil before going to bed when my phone vibrated, making me jump...no one text me.
Shayley: Hey dude, I'm heading down the skate park tomorrow, I remember you telling me you skate, wanna come?
Me: I can't, sorry, I start my job tomorrow, have fun though :)
Shayley: Oh? Where you working?
Me: Just a little music store down town, nothing special.
Shayley: Oh what the one Oliver Sykes owns? I love that place! Careful though, Vic and that lot like going in there, but I'll come by and say hello tomorrow, it's only round the corner from the park. You forgot your Math book anyway, so I'll pop it in.
Me: Yeah that one. Thanks for the heads up. Did I? Oh, didnt notice, thanks, that would be great.
Shayley: Sure thing, I'll catch you tomorrow.
Me: Yeah, see ya
I put down my phone and sighed, Shayley seemed very much like the person I'd of got along with well once upon a time. Someone who'd of fit in my old group of friends nicely, maybe even have become my best friend. But I had no intention on being friends with him, sure I'd hang out with him at school, talk to him, sort of, but not friends. I didn't do friends anymore, friends only leave you and stab you in the back, and I wasn't going to go through that again. I barely survived the first time, so it was better that way, I just hoped Shayley didn't try and get too close.