ninteen | tech week pt. 2

Chapter Nineteen:
Tech Week pt. 2

"OKAY, WE JUST need to nail down our lighting and our sound and, ta-da, we've got a show. I need some bodies for the rooftop scene," Miss Jenn announced.

"I can do Troy!" Ej said immediately, raising his hand quickly.

"Fine," Miss Jenn nodded hesitantly.

"Or at least some people think so," Ej mumbled to himself, Lucy frowning at him as he jogged past.

"I'll stand in for Gabriella, Miss Jenn," Lucy offered with a slight raise of her hand. Miss Jenn smiled at her and nodded.

"That would be lovely, thank you, Lucy," Miss Jenn agreed. Lucy got on stage and stood next to Ej. "Do we have a working light board? Do we have a working light switch?"

"Oh, found it!" Big Red called. The lights turned blue and Lucy and Ej both looked over towards the wings. Lucy let out a small yelp and jumped back into Ej, the boy quick to steady her as she realized they were just mannequins and started to calm down.

"Sorry, everyone. My Uncle Ruben said there was gonna be some left over stuff from the fashion show. I guess the theme was 80's rave?" Carlos said confusedly.

"In a nuclear reactor?" Ashlyn retorted, everyone laughing around them.

"Big Red, do we have anything more flattering?" Miss Jenn called over to him again.

"Uh, working on it!" he called back. Ej looked over at Lucy as she opened up her script to the page they were on and scanned over her lines, a small smile on his face as he looked at her. Big Red flipped on the lights again and Miss Jenn took in a breath.

"Okay, Troy, basketball stuff, Gabriella, math stuff, nobody doesn't cry and we end up here center stage," Miss Jenn noted. "Gabriella, give us your cue."

"Remember in kindergarten," Lucy began, glancing up at Ej from her script, "you'd meet a kid, know nothing about them, then ten seconds later, you're best friends?"

"Yeah," Ej breathed out, his voice deeper and making him sound somewhat like a wannabe Twilight character.

"Singing with you felt like that," Lucy continued, looking up at him with a small smile of adoration, playing the part she had initially wanted.

[Lucy to camera]

"Part of me, like a really small part, kinda wants to prove to Miss Jenn that I have what it takes to play Gabriella, but honestly this is kinda fun! I like acting with Ej. It reminds me of when we were kids."

[Presently]

"Look, I never thought about singing, that's for sure," Ej took a step closer to Lucy who was following along in her book, glancing up and furrowing her eyebrows when she saw the forced tears in his eyes. "Until you, and now... I don't wanna stop. Ever."

Lucy looked at him in alarment and slowly turned her head to Carlos and Miss Jenn who were watching equally as confused.

[Lucy to camera]

"I take it back, get me out of here."