Chapter Twelve |Love You Hard|

Lance's hand tightened on the phone. Keith was gesturing for the phone but Lance shook his head. It was time for him to speak to her; for her to know how he felt.

"Answer the question."

"Lance. I called you for a reason. I wanted to apologize."

That startled a laugh out of Lance. She wanted to apologize? Did she know all of the shit he went through? Did she know what she did to make him feel not worthy?

"You want to apologize? You want to fucking apologize for the shit you put me through? Well guess fucking what Nyma," he asks aggressively, sitting up.

"I don't want it. You had years to say something but instead you ghosted me for Lotor and his goons. You hurt me, Nyma. And you want my forgiveness." He scoffs shaking his head.

"I'm going to say what you say when I asked you a certain question."

"Lance please-,"

"No."

He hung up the phone and sat back. He felt angry now. Nyma was gone for so long and now she wanted to apologize. That-

"Lance, hey," he felt Keith's hand on his. He looked up and saw everyone looking at him, worried. "You okay? Your hands," Lance looks down and saw his hands balled into fists. He felt pain budding.

"Oh," he says. He hasn't done that since-

Stop it Lance! You can't keep doing this! Nyma and Lotor are trying to get you. Don't let them. Stop letting them.

"Sorry." He sits up, looking out the window again. He sighs. What has gotten in him these days? Seizing; letting Lotor crawl his way into his life again; letting Nyma in again. Things have changed so much. He doesn't want them to.

"Lance," Lance looks up at the new but familiar voice. He tears up when he sees his mother and sisters.

"Mama." He sobbed. She walked forward and Keith moved so she could hold her son. He cried into her neck, speaking in his native tongue. "Lo siento. Me equivoqué de nuevo. Hice todo lo que me advertiste.  Mamá, lo siento."

"Shh, Lancito." She pulls away to stroke his wet cheeks. "Estoy aquí. Te tengo. Has sido tan valiente y fuerte por mí. Incluso si eso significa lastimarte, no dejes que me preocupe. Pero estoy preocupado hijo.  Esta es la segunda vez. Por favor, dime qué te está pasando." Lance sniffles and nods. She presses their foreheads together.

Feeling out of place for this, he looks to Shiro and Adam.

"Maybe we should go-,"

"No!" He looks to Lance who's watching him with heartbroken eyes. Keith looks to his mother then back to Lance. "A-Are you sure it's okay?"

"If Lance wants you here then yes. Stay." Lance's mother sits at the end of her son's bed, and his sisters sit on his right.

"We can go," Shiro and Adam stand. "We don't want to intrude. We need to go check on our other band member too. Keith, call us if you need anything. Nice meeting you, McClain ladies."

Shiro bows slightly and the women nod to him. After they leave, Lance's mother turns back to her son. "Mijo, I know you don't want to tell me, but can you explain how this happened? Why you've been so distant with us?"

Lance takes a breath. He looks to Keith who smiles encouragingly and nods. "You all know Nyma,"
<><><><>
Lance was leaned into Keith's side, the popstar stroking his hair, with his story done. His mother was rubbing her son's hand though he was sleep.

"Keith," said boy looked up from the boy's hair, eyebrows raised. That was another thing she liked about him. He was so caring of Lance and everyone he meets. He's nice and shy despite his status. He's perfect.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"For taking care of our boy." She smiles at him. This image of her son having a friend, a boyfriend maybe to lean on; someone who was there for him no matter what was a pleasing sight.

"He's been so lost since Nyma. He's always been in love with the thought of love. And finally when she came along and hurt him," she pressed the back of her hand to his cheek. Her baby. "I was sure he wouldn't ever be the same again."

She smiled softly; he was so at peace. Finally. He smiled unconsciously and snuggled into Keith further.

"But then you came into his life and," she laughed. "I've never seen him bright like that before. It's like he's alive now."

Veronica piped up from Lance's side. "He talks about you. All the time. Not like how he did with Nyma. He's not all ready to get with someone. He was hesitant but feeling good. Or so he says."

"Yeah." Rachel says to him, leaning back in his seat. "'Oh my God, his eyes sis. It's like purple but galaxies.'" Rachel imitates her twin and adds jazz hands for a special effect.

Keith chuckles making Lance shift in his sleep. He moves until and holds Keith's waist in a surprisingly tight grip. He whines low in his throat, his eyes starting to furrow. "Lance?" Keith shakes his shoulder. Lance sits up with a startled yelp but Keith holds him fast.

"Hey. You're okay. Your mom and sisters are here. I'm here."

"Keith." He hugs Keith and his mother rubs his back. "Mama?" He looks at her. She smiles.

"Hi mijo. Baby, I am so proud of you." His eyes widen. She was proud of him? He was the youngest; he was overshadowed by everyone in his family. And all he's ever done was mess up. And she was... proud? He tears up. "Come here."

She opens her arms and he jumps into them. It's been so long since he's had a hug. It felt nice. He sighed into her chest. "You've been doing everything to keep everyone happy even if it cost you your health. Of course I'm not happy about that but you kept holding on. No matter what happened you held on for so long. I'm sorry I wasn't there. I am so proud of you."

"Thank you." He smiles.

"I love you so much mijo."

He hugs her tighter. "I love you too, Mama."