[Chapter 8]

Erik couldn't prevent the snickers that escaped his lips as he heard his partner-in-crime groan a few steps behind him. He could hear her pant and gasp for breath as the two slowly made their way up the stairs of the Kingsbarrow. Wiping a bead of sweat from his thin eyebrow, Erik took the chance to glance back at Freya.

Her brown locks were pulled back into a high ponytail with some wispy strands stuck to her sweaty forehead. An expression of disdain was apparent on her features as her lips were puckered into a cute pout. Freya huffed, wiping her face with the back of her hands as she looked up at her partner. Seeing his amused countenance, the brunette stuck her tongue out at the boy, causing him to laugh even louder.

"Is that any way to act..." Erik paused for a moment. His blue hues shined with an impish sparkle as a handsome smirk tugged at the corners of his lips. The next word he said came out in a lilting, teasing tone. "...Princess?"

"Oh, bite me!" Freya yelled, her cheeks burning hot from both the embarrassing nickname and from the exertion of climbing the large amount of stairs she had already walked. Erik guffawed at her reaction as he dodged a swipe of her hand at his back.

After leaving Cobblestone Falls last night, the two decided to make camp before heading to the Kingsbarrow. Freya took the opportunity to tell Erik about her birth mother's letter over dinner, and, boy, did it send his head spiraling. Although it was a massive piece of information, the thief never changed the way he acted towards Freya, and she was very grateful for it. If anything, it brought the couple closer together. With everything that happened yesterday, the boy was quite grateful to hear the Luminary come back to her usual self.

"Ugh! This is an ungodly amount of stairs," The brunette complained loudly, making Erik roll his eyes with mirth. He turned his head to see the girl shake her head with lively eyes. "Like...isn't it too much? Don't you think so, Erik?"

"Less talking, more climbing, Freya," The thief responded, making Freya huff under her breath. He chuckled lightly as he gave her a warm smile. Pausing in his steps, he turned around and extended a hand towards the teen. "We're almost there at the top. Just hang in there, okay?"

Freya nodded, a tiny smile dancing on her lips. She gingerly took the boy's hand, and the pair continued up the remainder of the steps together. And that was another thing Freya happened to notice. The thief had been a bit more forward with his caring touches, whether it was a helping hand or a brush of shoulders when they walked or sat beside each other. It was comforting, and Freya quite liked the gentle thumps of her heart whenever she noticed it.

"There! Feeling better?" Erik asked, snapping Freya from her stupor. She blinked, realizing they stood right in front of the entrance to the Kingsbarrow. The brunette turned her head to look at her companion and saw the wide smile on his face. "Now let's go get that Orb!"

With a nod of her head, Freya helped Erik push the massive doors open. Eagerly they went through and walked a few steps before the horrid sight before them made them stop. Gasps escaped the couple, and Erik moved arm out in front of Freya, pushing her behind him. Their eyes scanned the scene, fear gnawing at their stomachs.

In the middle of the pathway were a group of armored guards sprawled on the ground. Their weapons laid useless beside their motionless bodies. Erik's alarmed eyes met Freya's panicked one. Erik gestured with his head, and the pair began to creep carefully towards the guards.