[Chapter 24]

Freya sighed, stretching her arms high above her head. Despite the anxiety in her stomach, the Luminary was somehow able to get some sleep, albeit not the best rest she's ever gotten. Still, it was better than getting none.

And luckily, Vince didn't suggest going to train that morning. The events of last night had the man on edge and he wanted to stay in the orphanage up until the tournament to ensure that the kids were safe. Freya agreed that it would be for the best and waved her partner farewell with the promise of meeting up later.

So the brunette found herself walking down the Octagonia main streets alone. Even if it was a little early for the day, the main streets were busy and it was least likely that anyone would try something with so many people around. That thought brought some comfort to her frazzled nerves, and the idea of meeting up with her friends only made her want to rush back to the inn. She only hoped that they wouldn't be too worried about her absence.

"FREYA!"

And apparently, her hopes didn't come to fruition.

The Luminary yelped as two different bodies collided into her—one taller and one significantly shorter. Freya gasped for breath as the two separate sets of arms wrapped around her body, constricting her breathing and movement almost immediately.

"G-Guys!" Freya gasped, her voice sounding strangled. Her face was growing paler by the second as her lungs screamed for any bit of oxygen, yet her two companions didn't seem to notice until she stammered wispily. "I-I'm fine! So, p-please let g-go! Can't b-breathe!"

"Sorry, darling! We're just so relieved!" Sylvando exclaimed as both him and Veronica immediately gave the teen some space. He watched with a sheepish smile while he watched the girl greedily gulp for air. "We've been looking everywhere for you, you know,"

"Yeah! And where have you been?!" Veronica yelled, jabbing a finger into her friend's leg as her happiness subsided and her anger built up. Freya flinched at the girl's scolding tone as the blonde continued on with fiery eyes. "Erik told us you didn't come to the inn last night and we've been searching for you nonstop this morning! We thought you were kidnapped!"

"S-Sorry!" Freya squeaked out, a surge of guilt flushing through her system. Her gaze drifted to the ground while a frown danced across her face. The duo froze upon seeing their friend's shifting expression, noting the urgent tone that began to lace in her voice. "Actually, something happened while I was with Vince and I had to stay the night,"

"Well, we can talk about that later, but right now—let's go meet with the others first," The jester replied, reaching over to place a hand on her head. The girl peered up at him as the knowing shimmer in his dark hues sparkled brightly. "You know, someone's been going crazy, trying to find you, honey,"

Veronica snickered mischievously as Freya cocked her head to the side. Ignoring the obvious confused expression on the Luminary's face, the man steered his friend back towards the inn with the tiny mage following a step behind. All of Freya's curious questions were only answered by laughter and oddly teasing remarks from the pair, only causing the girl to pout childishly.

It took a few minutes, but the three made their way back to the inn. In the distance, Freya could see her two friends standing in front of the building. Erik had his arms crossed and head bowed with his face hidden away by the dark shadows and poor lighting. Across from him, Serena was speaking to him with furrowed brows and a frown curling at her lips. Even from her spot, she could see the unbridled worry in her violet hues. Seeing that with the pair's tense forms made Freya's heart throb with the pang of guilt.