[Chapter 29]

It took little time to make it back to the ruined kingdom. With Hendrik's steed clearly trained well, the two made it back much quicker than if they walked the entire way. What would've taken closer to an hour or longer walk based on the distance turned into a 10 minute trek to reach the entrance way of Dundrasil.

Though it looked as if the black horse wasn't keen to stick around any longer than needed. As soon as Freya and Jade slid off of its saddle, the mare took off in the same direction from where they came and where Hendrik was left standing on his own. However, neither Freya nor Jade minded and made their way into the kingdom.

Upon nearing the center of the city, all worry instantly dissipated from Freya's body and her body sagged with relief. All five of her companions huddled close together, varying degrees of worry etched into their farces, not noticing the couple approaching. And it wasn't until Veronica glanced around—probably hoping to catch a glimpse of the two—and caught sight of them walking their way.

"Look!" The blonde mage exclaimed, her face lighting up as she gestured to the taller pair. Instantly, everyone's heads snapped Veronica before following her finger. One by one, smiles grew onto their faces and met the women halfway.

"There ye both are! And in one piece too!" Rab hummed, his face crinkled with a bright grin. He reached out to hold a hand from each woman and squeezed gently. Freya smiled lightly, returning with her own squeeze while Jade's eyes softened considerably.

"Just about. No thanks to Hendrik and his men..." She trailed off with her amethyst eyes drifting to the side. At her words, Rab's features twisted into a disappointed scowl. Slowly, he retracted his hands and turned to the side, facing away from everyone.

"So it was auld Hendrik, was it? I thought it might be. I would have liked a wee word with the rascal, but...I doubt he'd have told us much," The elderly man grumbled. "Well, if even he's out for yer blood, the forces of evil must have a stronger hold on Heliodor than ever...It wouldnae be the first time a once-glorious kingdom had been brought low by monstrous powers, ye know,"

"You're talking about Zwaardrust, right...?" Freya hesitated for a moment before speaking. Rab nodded and his head dropped down, tilting to the floor. His dark eyes slid close and his eyebrows furrowed deeply.

"Aye. Ye see, many, many years ago, a dastardly fiend destroyed an entire empire with his wicked ways. A legendary evil named..." Rab snapped his head up with open, dimmed hues. His voice was laced thick with its dread and disdain as he spat out his next word. "Mordegon!"

There was a silent pause that flitted over the group. This was the first time she had heard the name, and Freya could tell that her friends never heard the name either based on how their expressions didn't change. It was just a peculiar name, but the information didn't make a difference to the party.

Though there was no denying the sharp chill that ran through Freya's spine that second the name filled the air. She could feel it in her bones, something about the name had some weight and power. And a scan across all the faces in front of her showed that nobody else was feeling what she was going through.

Nobody else seemed to feel goosebumps running along their arms.