[Chapter 27]

With the end of the closing ceremony, Freya hastily met up with her friends and they wasted no time leaving Octagonia. Despite Dundrasil being close by, it was more than a day's trek to make it. Even without verbalizing it, everyone knew it was urgent to get to Dundrasil as soon as they could for the Rainbough. Though that didn't stop them from worrying about the Luminary.

Every so often, the members would sneak glances at the silent brunette. As much as they wanted to speak, they couldn't find the words that would make the situation lighter and easier to take in—even Erik couldn't muster the courage to soothe the furrowed brows and deep frown the girl wore.

So silently, the party went on their journey. Finally, after a day and a half, they made it to their destination. As they walked up the upwards ramp to Dundrasil, their gazes were met with the desolate remains of the mighty kingdom. Crumbled buildings had been overtaken by growing moss and thriving greenery, creating a painful contrast to the many lives lost many years ago. The massive looming castle in the distance was nothing but mere rubble and hollow towers, a place Freya couldn't imagine herself living in had life played out differently.

"Man..." Erik whispered softly. There was a pained edge to his words as his eyes slid over towards Freya. From his spot, he could see the solemn dim in her blue hues. While there were several emotions flickering through her saddened gaze, Erik wasn't able to understand what was going through the girl's mind. His hands curled into tight fists while anger boiled in his chest, angry at himself for not being able to comfort the girl he cared so deeply for.

"So this is Dundrasil...I'd heard the rumours about what happened here, but still...I never expected...this..." Sylvando murmured with his hands clasped in front of him. His dark eyes swept over the landscape with a sorrowful frown, sympathetic to the people that had once lived happily 16 years ago. "To think that not so very long ago, this was one of the world's great cities...And that it was reduced to rubble in a single night..."

The man paused and bowed his head, giving his quiet condolences to the deceased. Slowly, his head raised up as he gave another glance to the kingdom. The warm hues of the receding sun only made the sight more depressing to take in.

"The King and Queen murdered by monsters...The Princess of Heliodor too...The poor thing was only visiting..." The jester spoke softly, craning his head towards Freya. Realizing what he said, Sylvando's hand rose to cover his mouth with an apologetic glimmer to his eyes. "But I don't need to tell you this...they were your parents, after all..."

Freya only turned to her friend with a wavering smile. The sight was pitiful, but nobody had the heart to point it out. Not wanting to linger on the depressing thoughts, Erik took a step besides the brunette and grabbed hold of the group's attention.

"So where's the old guy from the tournament, anyway? And why'd he drag us all the way out here?" Erik questioned, placing his hands on his hips. Suddenly remembering why they were there, the other members began looking around the area, hoping to catch a glimpse of Rab and Jade. Gasping, Veronica's violet hues brightened up as she pointed off into the distance.

"Look—those torches are lit!" The tiny mage exclaimed while everyone looked at where she was pointing at. Nearby the gate of the deteriorated castle, a few torches were lit, the only sign of life in the quiet ruins. "He must be in there somewhere waiting for us!"