[Chapter 32]

A few days have passed since departing from the Zwaardrust region and it would still be a little bit till the party reached Costa Valor, a small region they needed to travel through to get to Puerto Valor that was further inland. In the meantime, the party was left to their own vices, doing anything they could do to pass the extra time away.

Nearly everyone was on the deck for the day. Serena and Veronica sat side by side, basking in the warm sun as Serena played on her harp. Jade was training with her glaive as Rab sat nearby, sipping away on tea while giving the young princess some advice here and there. Sylvando was at the wheel as Dave was located below deck for a much needed rest.

Today, Freya ended up finding herself standing next to Erik near the head of the ship. Together they stood at the taffrail, enjoying each other's company while chatting about anything and everything at once. And when the thief ended up telling the Luminary a joke that caused her to burst out into delighted laughter, it only sent the boy into his own chuckling fit. To any onlookers, it was a fond sight that would have them relieved to see the duo acting normal again.

Unfortunately, Veronica wasn't one of those people.

"Look at them. They're doing it again..." The tiny mage grumbled to Serena, huffing with a cross of her arms. Serena paused in her strumming as she watched her older twin send daggers to the unknowing couple. Nearby, Jade perked up at Veronica's words, confusion coloring her expression. She halted in her training to stare at Freya and Erik with furrowed brows, only to see nothing out of the ordinary. With a slight purse to her lips, Jade turned to the twins, her footsteps gaining their attention.

"Aren't they always like that? They acted like this back in Octagonia, didn't they?" She chimed in, getting closer to the blonde twins. Together, the three watched Freya nudge Erik with her hip after a teasing remark to which he returned with his own. It was an endearing sight and Jade couldn't help but smile sweetly at the broad grin across Freya's face before returning her attention to the mages. "Looks like nothing is off to me,"

"Yes, and they did just make up too. Isn't it good that they're getting along again?" Serena added, tilting her head curiously. At her words, Veronica let out an exaggerated sigh and thrusted a hand to gesture to the pair.

"Well, obviously, it is, but look at them! There's something different than before," Veronica hissed out, scrutinizing every moment shared between Erik and Freya. "I'm telling you, something is going on between them!"

Wordlessly, the trio continued to watch the thief and Luminary for the next couple of minutes. At first glance, it did appear that the two were messing around as they usually did and Jade was quick to brush it off. Yet when Erik leaned in close to Freya's ear, whispering words only she could hear, the brunette's cheeks turned into a light shade of pink and a flustered smile danced across her lips. Noticing that, Serena's eyes grew wide and a hopeful glimmer sparkled in her starry gaze.

"You don't think—!" Serena gasped, her hands covering her mouth in an attempt to muffle her shrill squeals. Even behind her hands, Jade and Veronica could see the massive grin stretching across the healer's expression and utter delight dancing in her purple eyes. Instantly, Veronica matched her sister's energy and was practically bouncing in her spot. Yet Jade could only eye the sisters with a blank look.