[Chapter 17]

The trek back to Gallopolis didn't take long, especially seeing as the party didn't have to watch over Prince Faris this time around. Yet in the short amount of time, the desert city was somehow even more bustling than it was before. Upon taking a few steps through the massive gates, it was already difficult to move through the throng of people crowding around the stables. The gates to the stalls were wide open, and from the party's spot, they could see the giant audience form around something in the middle of the platform. Loud cheers and clapping echoed throughout the small area and easily piqued the interest of the travelers.

"Oh my! Is this all for Prince Faris?" Serena gasped, covering her mouth as the party drew closer to the horde. In the dead center of the area was the cart that carried the dormant Slayer with Prince Faris kneeling before his father and mother. The roar of applause increased more as the closer the group got.

"Seeing as how their precious prince easily took down a monster that's been terrorizing the city for years, I'm not surprised," Erik drawled with a sarcastic twinge in his voice as he crossed his arms. His blue hues narrowed at the royal boy and a scoff escaped his lips. From his side, the small blonde huffed with a mighty frown.

"Oh, that's absolutely ridiculous! All these people are praising such a useless boy when we did all the work," Veronica sneered with a snippy tone. Despite not hiding the truth behind the defeated Slayer, the fact was easily drowned out by a nearby man cheering at the top of his lungs, which only fueled the girl with more ire. Freya only smiled weakly at the girl as she felt a similar feeling of exasperation. Gently, Freya rested her hand on the mage's head, causing Veronica to peer up at her with curious hues.

"Come on. Let's see if we can get a closer look," The teen said, doing her best to talk over the yells. The remaining three nodded and followed the brunette's steps. They weaved between the people standing nearby and edged closer to where Prince Faris kneeled. Having nobody stand between them, the party could clearly hear the Sultan's booming voice.

"My fellow Gallopolitans! Faris, your prince, my son—our hero—has vanquished the Slayer of the Sands!" The Sultan rejoiced, his words laced with utmost pride towards his son. His mouth curled upwards and his eyes shimmered brightly as he stared at the young boy. In that moment, Freya couldn't help but feel guilt flood her system as the praise and cheerful cries of the Gallopolitans grew louder with each second. "The future of our kingdom is surely safe in the hands of one so gallant and chivalrous as he! Now come, heroic conqueror—address your people!"

"Beloved Gallopolitans! Yes, I captured the beast, but I did not act alone..." Prince Faris trailed off as he stood tall in front of his people. For a split second, his sight landed on the four travellers and his grin stretched wider. With a quick turn away, Prince Faris let out a resounding chuckle with a wave of his hand. "For it was your love, your adoration, that gave me the strength I so needed! Yes!"

"Unbelievable!" Veronica fumed as the cheers grew immense at the prince's words. Her teeth grinded against each other and her button nose scrunched up with unbridled fury. Her violet hues were heated and thinned out into daggers, staring holes into the side of Prince Faris's head. "He really is a little bast-!"

"Veronica!" Serena scolded, cutting off her sister. The blonde's eyes hardened into a scolding manner at her smaller twin while Veronica puffed up her cheeks in defiance. Freya only sighed while Erik quirked a brow up in amusement at the sight. The four were too occupied to notice the stirring chains as the desert prince continued basking in the praise.