[Chapter 12]

Freya's eyes slowly fluttered open as a soft sigh left her mouth. Despite being bleary visioned, the brunette scanned the room. The window curtains were drawn closed, but some rays of light filtered through the tiny cracks in between the fabrics. In the darkened room, the Luminary could see that Erik was gone. In his place, her partner's bed was made, albeit a bit messy. The sight of that was enough to cause the teen to smile lightly as she sat up. She ran a hand through her locks, brushing away any tiny knots that may have ravelled in her hair overnight. For a moment, the girl sat there, lost in her head before her eyes widened with realization.

"Shoot! I forgot we were supposed to meet up!" Freya muttered to herself as mild distress seeped into her awakening form. Quickly, the teen pulled her hair back into its usual style and got out of bed. She hastily made her bed and grabbed her belongings. Once she deemed herself presentable, Freya left her room and rushed down the stairs of the inn.

In the main area, Freya spotted the twin sisters chatting with the thief. Easy going smiles danced on their faces as they talked, and the Luminary released a breath of relief as she slowed into a calm walk. Hearing the sigh, the spiky haired boy turned around and his expression brightened at the sight of the brunette.

"Good morning, sleepyhead!" Erik greeted with a wide smile. At his words, the two blondes turned to see the girl approach them and gave their own cheerful greetings. As Freya waved back at them and settled besides the group, a teasing glint shimmered in the boy's eyes. "Awake at last, huh?"

"It would've been nice if my dear roommate had woken me up," Freya rolled her eyes playfully, sarcasm dripping from her words as her lips curled into a cute grin. Erik snorted, reaching up to grasp his partner's cheeks with each hand. He pinched the skin between his fingers and gently pulled at it, causing Freya to whine at the light tugs.

"Hey! You looked so comfy, it was hard to disrupt such a face," He cooed, laughing loudly at the noises escaping the Luminary. After a few seconds, Erik released his hold and Freya reached up to rub her sore cheeks. She narrowed her eyes at her friend while sticking her tongue out at him, while said boy continued to snicker under his breath.

"Don't worry, Freya! We all just woke up too!" Serena chimed in, giggles bursting forth from her throat at the sight before her. The brunette sent the taller blonde a thankful smile while Veronica placed her hands on her hips. While her countenance held a more serious expression, her eyes shined with mirth.

"Come on, you lot! Now that we're all up, it's time to continue our little talk from before," Veronica declared, her lips stretching out into a grin as she caught the party's attention. "About Serena and I, and how we're going to help you,"

"Help me? Like in the saying you two recited yesterday?" Freya asked, tilting her head back at the mage's words. She hummed in thought as tried to recall the words the sisters spoke. "What was it you guys said? 'We of Arboria swear to protect you. While we live none shall defeat you'. But what exactly are you protecting me from?"

"Well you see, we have a legend in Arboria," Serena interjected, resting a hand on her collarbone as her eyes held a certain twinkle in the purple hues. "It says that one day the Dark One will descend to extinguish the light...But that Yggdrasil's chosen...The Luminary, bearer of the Mark of Light...Will rise to meet him..."