22: Comfort or Chaos?

Allistars POV

"But what if I'm not? What if I tell them everything goes wrong and I lose all my friends?" I say, still sobbing

"That's not gonna happen. You know that. Vivian is better than breaking off a friendship because of something you can control." Matilda says reassuringly

"You're right. It's just overthinking I guess."

"I totally get you. I overthink things a lot too."

Then Vivian bursts through my door.

"I heard crying. Are you okay? Did someone hurt you? Because if they did I would be sure to strike down them and their entire family."

"No Viv, I'm fine.Nobody hurt me." I say wiping my tears.

"Then what's wrong.?"

"Its nothing."

"Allistar, I know somethings up, you can't lie to me."

"I-I rather not talk about it."

"Okay, just know if you need me i'll always be there for you. I love you dude."

"Thanks, ill keep that in mind."

"And?"

"I love you too."

"That's better. Have a good day okay?"

"Will do.

I pick the phone back up

"Well that went better than I expected." Matilda says

"How so?"

"She left you alone." she says giggling

"God, I'm such a coward!"

"You're not a coward. You're just not ready."

"You're right. I mean I've only known about this for what, like a couple weeks? Less than a day if i'm talking about the whole cross-variant thing."

"Yeah. I need to do some work so i'll talk to you later okay?"

"Yeah,sure thing. Bye."

Vivians POV

Well that was weird. I wonder what was actually wrong with him. I hope he's okay. Sigh. I flop down on my bed.

"What have I told you about barging in on people?" Alex asks

"If you do, offer them cookies?"

"No! Don't do it at all!

"Riiight. But what about the cookies?"

"There are no cookies! You don't just barge in on people because they are sad and you think you can magically make them feel better with some metaphorical cookies!"

"Well excuse me for wanting to help."

Was that a fight?

We spent the next hour not talking to each other.

"I'm going out, you want anything?" I ask

"No." Alex says bluntly

"Okay, why are you being such a bitch? I did nothing to you."

"You're just annoying! You're too loud and invasive. It gets on my nerves."

"Well I'm sorry I'm such a burden to you."

"Oh come on Vivian you know that's not what I-"

I slammed the door

God, what do I do? She's here for the next three days unless she decides to call for a ride. And if she's home early then moms gonna ask her about it and if she doesn't lie then she'll get in trouble. I think.

I could call Matti, she always gives the best advice.

"Hey V, whats up?"

"Me and Alex got into a fight. Do you think I can come over? Maybe stay the night?"

"Yeah of course. You know i'm here for you."

"Thanks, I'll be over in 10."

"Sounds good, see ya."

"See ya."

Matildas POV

God, this has just been a day of trying to make people feel better. It's not like I'm mad about it though. I love helping my friends, I just wish they'd be there for me.

Vivian is knocking on my door

"Hey Matii, I got snacks!"

"Oh that's,nice, are you okay? What happened with Alex?

She explains everything to me and starts to tear up. I hug her.

"Viv, she didn't mean that. You know that too. Sometimes people say things out of anger. There's a lot of possibilities as to why she said that. She could have been tired, or she could've been angry at something else. I think your best bet is to stay here for the night and wait for her to apologize. And if she doesn't tell her how what she said affected you."

She wipes her tears. "Yeah you're right. Are you sure I can stay here for the night though? I wouldn't wanna intrude."

"Of course you can stay here. You're my friend I wouldn't shut you out when you're in need."

"Thanks. It means a lot."

We hang out for a bit and eat some takeout before going to bed

7:45 AM

Yawn. I wake up and Viv looks like she's still sleeping. I shouldn't wake her up, she's had a rough day. I walk down and get breakfast from the cafeteria. The food here is surprisingly good. Well for school food I guess. I get back up to my room and Vivian is laying in the cot i set out.

"Morning." she says tiredly

"Good morning! I brought you breakfast."

"Thanks, you really didn't have to though."

"Shut up and appreciate the food I got. Eat up!"

"Okay okay, Ill eat your dumb bacon and eggs."

"Good. Love you bestie."

"Love you too Matti."

She finishes eating and goes to leave.

"Thanks again for letting me stay here."

"It was no problem. I hope everything works out with Alex."

"Me too. See you later."

"See you."

Vivians POV

Well I'm back at my dorm. She's probably still here considering she didn't text me or leave a note. I guess i'll just go in there. I mean it's MY room after all.

"You're back." Alex says in a gleeful tone

"Yeah."

"Look Viv, I'm sorry about what I said yesterday. I dont think your annoying and your definitely not a burden. You're my sister and I love you. You've gotten me through all the difficult times in my life. I'm lucky to have a sister like you. I'm glad youre so upbeat. It- It kinda makes me feel like there's still good things coming for us. Again, i'm sorry i said all those mean things and I'm sorry I made you feel like you were a burden to any of us. I love you, I hope you forgive me, and even if you dont that's okay. What I said was very shitty and way out of line."

"Alex, you really hurt my feelings. I understand you didn't mean it but you really need to watch what you say."

"I know, I know. I will."

"Good. I won't forgive you right away just because you apologized. You need to prove to me you're really sorry."

"And how do I do that?"

"I don't know, you figure it out."

"Will do."

It's all gonna be fine. Don't worry. You're overreacting. Calm down. Stop. Stop. STOP!