27: Home or Hell

Vivians POV

There it is, the old, abandoned looking house I used to call my home. It's a lot smaller than I remember. But that's not too important. Nobody knows I'm here. Or that I was coming. I haven't been here in almost two years. I have no idea what I'm gonna say when I see my parents. Am I gonna shame them for being horrible caretakers and driving me away? Or will I say how happy I am to see them? It's anybody's guess.

I knock on the door and my mother opens it. She drops whatever she has in her hand when she sees me. She starts to cry and squeezes me tightly. She lets go and grabs my shoulders.

"Vivi, you came back."

I nod, she hugs me before telling me to come in.

"Come down everyone! I have a surprise!" they all come rushing down the stairs

Their faces light up when they see me. My siblings come in to hug me. My fathers face looks as stern as ever as he stands at the top of the stairs.

"How long are you staying?" My mom asks with excitement.

"Just until Monday morning, I have classes."

"That's too bad, we would've loved for you to stay longer."

"I wish I could. But I can't"

"Well you're here, and that's what matters." she smiles while placing her hand on my shoulder. "Why don't you take your bags upstairs to your room?

"Sure, mom."

I take my bags upstairs and go to my room. To my surprise nothing has changed, Every figure in its spot on the shelf, a small pile of books on my desk. My bed perfectly made. Stuffed bears and pillows placed so precisely that you would think a maid cleaned and not the kids. I guess they missed me enough to not change anything in here. It's kind of comforting in a way. Sigh. I lay on my bed and text Matilda.

"Im here"

"How's it going? Were they excited to see you?"

"Everyone but my dad. But he's usually uninterested in anything that has to do with the kids."

"That really sucks. At least the rest of the family was excited to see you."

"I guess so."

"I have to go, Al is gonna help me study for this dumb math test."

"Have fun ;)"

"Shush, but I will."

I get up and go to Ryias room

"Hi Ryia." I say in a soft voice

"Vivi!" She runs up to hug me "Vivi, please stay this time."

"Hun, you know I have to go back to school."

"Awww. Why can't you stay?"

"Ryia. It takes me an hour and forty-five minutes to get from school to here. I just can't. But I will try to visit as much as I can! Okay?"

"Okay." She says sadly

I go to Andrew's room. "Hey sis!" he says with the tone and attitude of a college frat boy.

"Hey Drew. How are things?"

"Pretty tame, all things considered."

"What things?" I ask

"Well. I'm not sure if Alexandria told you when she came to visit. But mom and dad finally got off our backs when you left. It took a lot to convince dad. That man is as tough as nails when it comes to actually being a good parent. But we're finally free from our monstrous chores."