•part two•

••••••

••••••

The Jackson household, Birmingham, 1919:

E L E A N O R  felt the heat of the fumes in the kitchen suffocate her. She continued to stir eggs as a kettle full of water continued to boil. It's been a while she had made breakfast to anyone, but Elle knew that Pius needed it. She was disturbed by his inhumane screams and the tears that followed after he woke and she had to lullaby him back to sleep, telling him that he was not in France, not in those mines he had to dig anymore. It made Eleanor feel bad for her brother and the fact that he hid it from her.

That he didn't come home to her because he didn't want her to see although she knew herself she was being hypocritical. Perhaps extensive lying was a trait running deep in the Jackson family. After all, their parents screwed their entire families by being together.

The Jackson female put the eggs in a pan and it immediately started to sizzle so she moved to put toast in a toaster, but such new invention confused her so she wished for Pius to come by faster. "Pius, come on down. I'm going to burn the whole house down!" she called after him but only received a bang from upstairs meaning he had only gotten out of bed.

Elle rolled her eyes and walked back to the stove, flipping the whisked eggs as they fried beautifully so she turned off the kettle and grabbed two cups of tea. It wasn't hard to find things in Pius' small kitchen and the cutlery seemed new, because he barely ate home. From the lacks of food, that was what Eleanor suspected.

The whiskey from the previous night made her head hurt, but she could handle her booze and hangover. "Pius, hurry up!" she exclaimed loudly and then the toast popped up, burnt a little. Sighing, the girl grabbed them and sneered at the hotness, the woman almost dropping them before just throwing them right on the plate as the tip of her fingers continued to suffer from a slight burn. Elle flipped the eggs onto the plate as well and marvelled at the breakfast, it having been ages she cooked for someone or herself.

As Eleanor made her brother breakfast, the doors to the Jackson house opened with a small squeak and two grown men entered the home of Pius and now Eleanor, childishly fighting who would be first to enter as if it was a bet. "Come on, old man, drinks on you," John Shelby smirked at his eldest brother Arthur, having won their stupid little competition as the older Shelby pushed John towards the staircase, still a bit weak after Inspector Campbell had beaten the crap out of him, so the mischievous man with a toothpick in between his teeth raised his head up the stairs. "Pius, come on out, you bastard!"

Some grumbling was heard from the upstairs room so John smirked, ready for the new day before both brothers heard a pouring sound from the kitchen, Arthur quick to hit his brother's chest as he motioned towards the kitchen. John's eyes grew curious instantly when Arthur's hit to the chest seemingly was a eureka moment and he remembered about a certain sister that had to move here to Birmingham. "Must be the sister," John commented the obvious so Arthur smirked in anticipation.