•part twenty-one•

••••••

••••••

Small Heath, Birmingham, 1919:

T H E night streets of Small Heath were partially empty if not for a fast car driving through them recklessly. Thankfully there were no people to witness John Shelby driving his new car, or people he could've run over.

Eleanor felt her head spin when John finally parked the car near their homes, leaving Eleanor to finally release her tight hold on the car's doors. Arthur's yelling didn't help either as John continued to drive like a madman, the eldest brother giving Elle an apologetic look when he saw her disheveled and pale face. "Slow her up. Nice and easy!"

"Story of your fucking life, Arthur," John shot back, getting out of the car before the two brothers helped the women out too. Pius and Tommy were both outside, waiting for the other car before Elle got out, causing Pius to approach her and smile.

"Nice car, John. How's she run?" Tommy questioned curiously as Esme rushed to get inside, still a little uneasy around people she didn't even know, but who were also her family. Tommy nodded at Elle calmly so she smiled almost barely, deciding to head inside too since Ada seemed to have wanted her to come.

"Beautiful," John smirked widely as Elle kissed Pius on the cheek and began to move towards the Shelby parlour, hoping to come of aid to Ada at least in some ways. During her time at Nina's, women weren't allowed to get pregnant so instead of births she saw many more abortions. Thankfully, she had never gotten pregnant, although Eleanor would never forget the melancholy that hit the women who had to be forced to go through these things. "Really smooth."

Polly suddenly opened the door, allowing Esme to enter as she motioned for Elle to come inside too. "Your sister's giving birth and you're talking about a bloody car," she snapped as Elle turned to look at the four men before moving inside, catching Tommy's look for a second.

"Not much us men can do now, Pol," Tommy shrugged simply as Arthur joked that they had to go and get drunk. Elle stopped in the doorway near Polly, glancing at the aunt's small sneer.

The four men began to leave then, but Eleanor's voice stopped them all. She even felt satisfied they listened to her. "There's one man who should be here," she commented so they stopped, Tommy glancing at the blonde, who only shrugged as if she wasn't speaking nonsense.

Polly nodded in agreement to Eleanor so Tommy quickly gave into the words, his blue eyes catching Elle's and he smiled. "You are right, Elle," he nodded, people noticing how he used a nickname on her he never usually used in front of them. Eleanor's cheeks blushed but she stood her ground, deciding to avoid Pius's unsatisfied look. "Freddie should be here."

Before Eleanor could swoon at Tommy's unusually soft words, Polly spoke up, almost smirking at her nephew since she was just as surprised if not more. "Is that a heartbeat I hear inside that chest?" Polly teased Tommy, but she also knew he could've lied to her.