•part six•

••••••

••••••

The Shelby Parlour, Birmingham, 1919:

S U R P R I S I N G L Y, Polly took Eleanor straight to the Shelby Parlour after their incredibly eye-opening meeting with Inspector Campbell. Elle had asked Polly what in the world was happening, but the aunt could only jump around the topic, either not wishing to put Elle in harm's way or just not trusting her enough to open up. Eleanor was certain it was the latter option, and she couldn't blame Polly no matter how irritating it was not knowing why a Special agent was after the Shelby family.

Elle realized she'd ask Pius, but much to her surprise again, Polly told Eleanor to stay with the woman, the two watching coppers trash other people's places, except their two homes. Eleanor realized Inspector Campbell wished to put the blame on the Shelby family or the Peaky Blinders, hence ruining other people's day and not theirs. But soon after, the boys were back from the fair, all sitting in the kitchen of the Shelby family and discussing what they had just witnessed.

The Jackson female was surprised when nobody, not even Tommy, who didn't glance away from her as soon as he entered, told her to leave this meeting. Pius was concerned about Elle's presence as they continued to discuss what was going on around them, but Eleanor wouldn't acknowledge her brother's discrete looks of plead to leave. Not when the meeting or her part in it was oddly attracting. "The coppers told everyone Arthur had agreed to it when he was arrested," Polly informed everyone about the ongoing raids as Eleanor sat on the chair in front of Arthur and John, the two men drinking beer.

Polly was talking heatedly as Tommy leaned against a dresser, his eyes casted down, and Elle found herself glancing at the man quite a bit, still a bit surprised he wasn't glaring her to death for being there with them. But then again, if Polly wasn't saying anything, Elle figured she trusted Eleanor didn't even know who Inspector Campbell was. "They said the Peaky Blinders had cleared out to the fair to let them do it," Polly continued to explain what she had overheard from folk, Eleanor eyeing John, who handed Tommy a pint of beer.

Pius was standing behind Elle, not drinking surprisingly but Elle did wonder about his bruised hands, noticing the same thing on Arthur and John. The fair must have been eventful, Eleanor realized, not even wishing to find out. "I never said nothing to that copper about smashing up bloody houses," Arthur grumbled in annoyance as he glanced at Tommy as Polly lit a cigarette, glancing at Elle's incredibly silent form, the female sitting and doing nothing, just observing.

"All right," Tommy calmed his brother's flaring words, looking at Polly for a moment even if his eyes somehow managed to catch onto Elle's as well. "Which pubs did they do?"

"The Guns, the Chain, the Marquis," Polly listed as Eleanor glanced at Tommy once more, wondering why exactly was he letting her stay. Not that she didn't enjoy being in this circle, but for someone who showed no trust in Eleanor, he seemed to forget she existed. It did not matter much on the second thought, Eleanor truly was clueless when it came to Campbell. "All the ones that pay you to protect them. Only one they didn't touch was the Garrison. Make sure people think we were in on it. He's smart, this copper."