•part ten•

••••••

••••••

Boxing ring, Birmingham, 1919:

T HE smashes and grunts of men rang throughout the boxing ring as Eleanor stood outside of it, watching Arthur and Pius throw fists at one another rather seriously, Pius landing punch after punch at the older man, who punched back so Pius hit the line and paused. Elle furrowed her eyebrows when they both stared at each other angrily, all fun and games gone out of the window so she was about to open up her mouth, but the males then laughed cheerfully and bumped their gloved hands.

"Good fight, Pius boy!" Arthur exclaimed happily, sweat dripping down his body as Elle's brother walked over to the corner, where he drank some water Eleanor had prepared for them.

Eleanor sighed. Ever since the conversation with Thomas she had been feeling all sorts of worst outcomes, which always ended up with either her or Pius's deaths. But, as days passed and everyone were still as oblivious to their whole ordeal, Elle knew Tommy would be keeping his part of their deal. It was that or he hadn't found the man himself yet.

"You two scare me sometimes," Eleanor spoke as she watched Arthur bend over the gum railing and jump down next to her so she smiled and handed him a flask of water. The man took it and poured some on his body as Pius appeared on the other side of his sister, breathing heavily, and sweat dripping down his face. "Your expressions looked like you wanted to kill each other."

Arthur chuckled at the blonde who he grew fond of just in the span of a few weeks. Eleanor was a sweetheart in his eyes, able to handle herself well. She also cooked them food so it was true what they said – a way to a man's heart was through his stomach. "That's what it is. Boxing isn't gentle, though I'm not a terrific fan of it," Arthur commented as Pius continued to take his water in huge gulps, still a little out of breath even if he was in a good physical shape. "But gotta help my brother get them demons out of his dead, you know?"

Eleanor smiled when Arthur wrapped his sweaty body around Pius, the latter pushing the man off so the oldest Shelby brother extended his hands for Elle to help him get rid of his boxing gloves. She helped him, of course, and when he was finally bare handed, Arthur suddenly grabbed Elle by her waist, lifted her up and threw her over his shoulder. Eleanor yelped in shock as he started carrying her somewhere, but a small chuckle did escape her mouth. "Let me get you a lift to the door, lady, unless you wish to stay for the show, of course," he commented, wishing to get dressed back into his suit as Eleanor continued to hold onto his arms, feeling unstable.

Pius watched angrily and then Arthur finally let go of the woman, who felt her cheeks heat by the man's hands on her. "He's pissed, isn't he?" Arthur whispered in anticipation, his back turned to Pius so Eleanor glanced over his shoulder and then smirked knowingly with a nod. "Then my deed for today is done."