•part five•

••••••

••••••

The Shelby Parlor, Birmingham, 1919:

T H E  misty morning cold was enough for Eleanor to dress into warmer clothes that she had bought. Actually had bought and not gotten them for free because of her brother's status as a Blinder. She pulled her tights up her legs and got into a dark dress before taking her coat and putting on a pair of shoes with a short heel.

Eleanor didn't want to feel nervous, and yet she did, because she knew that he would be waiting besides her door, ready to take her to the betting shop even if it was five feet away from where she was living. Everything in the Shelby family was tightly knitted together, and Elle didn't know if it was a blessing in disguise or a very inconvenient thing since they all were together most of the time. The Shelby family amazed Elle sometimes, because of their close ties, unlike her own family, who disowned the two children of Jacob and Ruth after their parents' deaths.

Nevertheless, Eleanor knew she could've entered their home by herself, but for obvious reasons Tommy insisted to take her inside himself, and she knew he would definitely play some kind of interrogation game. No matter what, Elle knew she wouldn't back down. Her pride wasn't letting her do so and she already lost not once, but twice. Maybe even three times.

Putting her hair up, Eleanor looked at herself in the mirror. First impressions mattered, and even if it wasn't her first time meeting her boss, she was going to show him how polished and professional she could be.

Elle found Pius sleeping in his bed after a deliberately calm night, when he didn't finally wake up screaming or trashing around. He had gotten quite drunk and she had to take him home all by herself the previous night, but the 3 Shelby brothers were also with them. Elle could remember how impatient Tommy had gotten when John would stop at every corner to relieve himself and that moment amused her, because despite being annoyed, Tommy never once abandoned Arthur or John, showing that he did care, though didn't enjoy showing it. He hadn't gotten drunk like Elle hadn't and yet they didn't speak another word to each other as they took their wasted brothers home.

The only thing Tommy did tell her was that he would wait for her the next morning, sharply at 7 am and that time didn't give her the luxury of sleeping at all. She was afraid to oversleep their meeting, and when she didn't, Eleanor felt like she was licking his ass for being so obedient. But, in a way, she did work for him now and had to be nice in order to slither her way into the depths of his life.

There were roughly 5 minutes left so Eleanor decided to grab an apple before stashing it into her small purse that she grabbed near the door. Unlocking the door to the Jackson parlour, Eleanor saw Tommy standing in front of the door, smoking and his cap lowered to a point Eleanor could only see his chin. The female paused and felt a big urge to raise the cap up to look him in the eye, but her sudden wish got dispersed since Tommy raised his head up from the ground as if he had read her mind. "Good morning," he announced calmly, observing her whole body as she felt stuck in the doorway, the cold air mixing with her heated cheeks.