•part seven•

••••••

••••••

The Jackson household, 1919:

T H E R E were so many things Eleanor had to think through – from the news she learned about Tommy to the fact that Augustus Lornell was in Birmingham now, aware Pius was alive and only a sentence away from screwing his plan. Elle tried to react calmly to the news, after all, she knew she'd rather allow hell to freeze over than to tell Pius where she had worked for the past few years. But on the other hand, perhaps, if she told Tommy, she'd gain something entirely else. Perhaps, even her freedom if Tommy wouldn't shoot her for having lied to him, for making him believe he was only a paranoid man.

Eleanor didn't know how many cigarettes she had smoked by the time the night sky hit Watery Lane, but not even nicotine in her lungs helped her calm herself down, her hands still shaking. Pius wasn't home and Eleanor was already incredibly worried for her brother's safety. Many questions swirled through her head, and she hoped it was just her own paranoia speaking, because Augustus never once mentioned hurting Pius as a warning. But, then again, he was a man Eleanor couldn't quite read and who knew if Lornell had changed his mind?

The female lit the seventh cigarette in an hour since her meeting with Augustus and then Tommy, looking at the clock on the wall to see that it was almost nine in the evening. Definitely not the latest Pius had ever come home, but not early too how Elle would've preferred that night. She then walked over to the window, smoking as her lungs continued to burn from the constant smoke. Not caring about the disgusting feeling, Elle continued to look through the window until she noticed men walking past her window, some of them wearing caps.

Eleanor moved the curtain out of the way to see better, perhaps even catch a glimpse of Pius as the men continue to head towards their goal, Elle noticing they were carrying pictures with them. Soon after, Eleanor saw a bonfire start as the men threw the pictures they were carrying into the fire, cheering. Elle pulled away from the window when the door suddenly burst open and Pius entered, much to her surprise and relief. "Pius! Where in the world have you been?!" Elle rushed to her older brother, trying not to look too worried as her brother stopped in confusion, smelling nothing but cigarettes and whiskey on his sister, the smell still unusual to him since Elle never smoked or drank before he left.

Her eyes seemed dark, maybe even slightly red too so Pius placed his hands on her arms, stopping Elle from asking him any more questions. "I was collecting them fucking portraits of the King... Why do you look like I was supposed to get shot?" he joked, unaware how worried Eleanor had been because of his whereabouts.

Eleanor processed what he had just told her, for a second crashing a bit since there were many thoughts she had to sort. She had lost her mind thinking about Pius, then Tommy, then what her next plan should've been, but now she just wanted to hug Pius and never let him go. To her surprise, she didn't do that, and instead just shook her head, taking a long drag of her cigarette as Pius frowned at her, but Elle moved away eventually, facing her back to him. "You okay, Elle?" he asked softly so Elle just chuckled ironically, nodding her head as she went back to their living room, taking such long drags of cigarette it was gone after her fifth inhale.