•epilogue•

••••••

••••••

The Shelby Parlour, Birmingham, 1919:

A F T E R a week of the fatal event that left Eleanor Jackson running, nobody seemed to do better, contrary of what she had predicted. The very same early morning Polly found Tommy bleeding on the floor so she saved his life, not daring to ask where the blonde had went and why she did what she did.

Polly was affected as all of them, but she was still there for others, seeing how hard Elle's betrayal was for them to deal with. Arthur decided to ignore the topic of Eleanor completely, instead going out to drink and start fights. John spent time with Esme, badmouthing the blonde whenever he could. Ada hurt too, but she had to stay strong for Karl, though Polly knew that the first chance Ada would get, she'd waste no second, but to try and find her best friend. Surprisingly, Ada was more upset Eleanor thought about them this way instead of being mad she betrayed and lied to her.

Pol knew Ada considered Elle family, and even if hurt, deep down they were all heartbroken.

Pius was probably hurt the most, staying days and nights in his house, not leaving or talking to anyone as Polly would go to check on him to see him drink, cry or sleep, all while he refused to let go of their mother's coat that Eleanor still hadn't thrown out. Polly knew the male was heartbroken and she didn't blame him.

Eleanor's mysterious disappearance made them all feel like she was only a ghost now and nothing more.

Campbell saved himself and demanded an arrest of Tommy, but nobody really believed in a delirious man anymore so he wanted Elle's blood. The day after Eleanor's escape, two copper cars came to arrest her, only to be shocked to see that she wasn't present. Tommy, wanting to drop this matter, told them that she was gone, which only added to the story of a ghost that still haunted the family and would haunt even longer.

And even if they all were coping in their own ways, Tommy was the quietest of them all. Ever since the coppers came and before that, he didn't even mention her name as if she'd pop up somewhere near, ripping his heart out yet again. It really did feel like she had died, and Polly saw how closed off he became.

So, one evening of a cold cold night, she knocked on Tommy's bedroom door before entering with a cup of tea ready for her nephew, but instead of lying in bed, she found him sitting by the window, a bottle of champagne placed in front of him. It was still closed, but he did hold a glass near it, ready to drink. "Why are you up?" Polly asked him with a click of her tongue, disliking his need to walk even if he was still sporting a healing wound.

Tommy gave Polly a dull look so she sighed, aware it was pointless to scold him so she sat down in front of him, trying to see any reaction, but to find none. "Drink?" Polly set the cup of tea on the table near the bottle, but Tommy shook his head, instead taking the champagne in his hands. He grabbed the cup of tea too and spilled the tea into a potted plant, Polly widening her eyes momentarily before he pushed the now empty cup towards her, ready to share some champagne.

"I'll drink champagne," he told her calmly, slowly taking care of the cork as Polly stared at him deeply, realizing something faster than others would.

"The one she bought."

Tommy didn't deny her statement, just nodded as he opened up the bottle, the popping sound ringing in Polly's ear as soon as the bubbles started to form when he poured them both some champagne. "I found it under her bed just like she told me," he nodded but Polly could see the heartbreak in her nephew which only made her loathe Eleanor ten times more. "It was a good day, that day. All of Kimber's men were busy here, so the Lee boys took all their pitches at the Worcester races. It couldn't have gone better if we'd planned it... Shelby Brother Limited are now the third largest legal race track operation in the country. Only the Sabinis and the Solomons are bigger than us. And all my family is with me still."

Tommy stared at his aunt's obvious look, causing him to smile dully and to lean back on the chair, his sadness evident in him even for dead things. Tommy then lowered his head and raised his glass, smiling at Polly dully, holding no grudge for the aunt even if it was her fault partly as to why a woman he loved broke his heart. "To Shelby Brother's Limited."

Tommy drank before sighing deeply and just leaning forward on the table as if drunk. But Polly knew he wasn't, he was just upset, and a few days wouldn't fix the damage that woman had done to him. Polly knew Tommy had never fallen this deep in love before, and the first time it did happen, he ended up being burned. "I knew she'd run. And I knew she'd take your heart with her..."

Tommy was silent for a good moment, his head on the table before Polly reached out her hand and touched his shoulder gently, watching Tommy refrain from pushing her away. He then sat back straight again and shook his head. "I always knew that woman is a type to hold a knife behind her back and you don't know when she'll strike. And yet I completely ignored that," he then opened up, looking away from Polly, who frowned slightly with an understanding nod.

"There will be others. You have to forget her."

Tommy rolled his ocean blue eyes before meeting her sympathetic eyes. "I learnt long ago to hate my enemies," he then began with a weak smile, Polly frowning as she listened to what else he'd say with an uneasy face. "But I've never loved one before."

And after these words, there was nothing much left to say. It was ironic, really, but not as shocking as one might think. Polly knew that wherever life would take Tommy, the universe she still believed in would eventually lead Eleanor there as well. And although she was hoping for Tommy to forget that backstabbing woman, Polly knew he wouldn't.

There would be others, but nobody would ever haunt Tommy Shelby's mind the way Eleanor Jackson had. She had contaminated his mind and only death would be able to take the memory of that woman away. No matter how long he had left to live without her by his side.

Vote, read, comment.