•part eight•

••••••

••••••

Watery Lane, Birmingham, 1919:

T H A T evening the night sky mixed with earth as rain clouded any light coming from the streets of Small Heath, pouring all of the dirt down the drainage systems, and yet there still were so many puddles around. Eleanor ran home after getting her money, hiding her bag underneath her coat not to get it wet. Rain already poured down her hair down to her face and whole body, causing everything to sink so with every fast step it was harder to even move.

Things weren't as bleak as Eleanor had imagined, but only with Lornell, and she did feel slightly perplexed because of it. She met Lornell again and even if he paid her, there was distrust in his eyes, something he yielded from showing before. Eleanor hoped he still wouldn't tell Nina anything, because she'd certainly come and ruin everything Elle was building – whether her relationship with Pius, or her plan for Tommy Shelby, something she still doubted especially after a conversation with him.

Finally appearing in her street, she banged on her home's door for Pius to open, but to no avail since the man had gone out somewhere. Groaning, Elle took another mental note to finally get her own key so she ran towards the neighbour's house, but even the Shelby clan had seemed absent. Elle wondered where they all were during such rainfall.

With one last desperate bang, Eleanor pulled away with a loud groan, feeling the raindrops slide down her nose and into her parted mouth. The water tasted bitter and yet it washed Eleanor like a sinner, and for a second she felt cleaner. It felt easier when the heavy shower from the dark sky washed away her problems for a minute, lifting some burden off of her shoulders that with each passing day rose.

Eleanor stood in the middle of Watery Lane, her head down to her feet, rain pouring down on her body as she had nowhere to go. With a mere memory of Tommy telling her he was going to find out what she was hiding. Eleanor knew she was weaker than she had seen herself being before meeting Tommy, and she blamed him so much for that. He wasn't anything like she had thought he'd be, and the duality of his character frightened her to the core.

The darkness Elle's chest felt was much darker than the night, clouded with heavy rain and cold.

Eleanor had no idea where to go or how to hide from the rain. The houses around them seemed empty, not even lights turned on and for a second she thought people hid from her on a purpose. She was associated with the Shelby clan and they must have hated her. Even children took another side of the street upon seeing her, what to talk about women and men.

Fucking cowards, Eleanor thought to herself as she continued to stand in the rain, wondering where to go, her head in her shoulders, hair so damp it would take ages to dry. She didn't hide her bag from the rain anymore, forgetting about the riches she held in her purse. Eleanor knew she could get sick from the rain and cold, eventually die, and quite ironically, she wanted this that moment. Things were shit for her, way more now since she was about to put her plan for Tommy in action.