•part twenty-five•

••••••

••••••

Eleanor's Apartment, Small Heath, 1919:

C O L D.  For some odd reason Eleanor felt cold when the morning rose the next day, the sun bringing only just little warmth. Nevertheless, the heat Tommy was radiating as he laid close to her, his arm wrapped around her body, made Elle feel a bunch of different emotions, all of which surpassed her need to stay warm.

If there was anything Eleanor had learned it was that being loved by Tommy Shelby had its perks. She still remembered her first days in Birmingham, when she felt unaware and anxious, when he didn't trust her even with a cigarette. Some time had passed and not only Birmingham became a familiar territory to Elle, but so did a man who ruled its streets. They weren't the same partners, full of schemes and lies, and things have changed. They found comfort in each other now, they had feelings they already shared in their own comfortable ways. And yet Eleanor found herself feeling sentimental of the times, where she was aware of what was going to happen.

Everything was a mystery despite the ongoing events and she knew it began to take a toll on her. Perhaps, even on Tommy. Eleanor hoped their spent night wasn't just a comfort for Tommy, or his need to make her feel comfortable.

Because she loved him, and the fond sight in front of her that morning made her forget all her nightmares. Tommy was sleeping on his back next to her, looking calm and peaceful, and seemingly having experienced no nightmares. Elle felt glad he was sleeping so nicely, perhaps, thanks to her, and she smiled as she laid on his shoulder, never before having thought she'd end up with such a man.

Oh, and he was intoxicating. He was like the best whiskey and Elle felt like an alcoholic, wanting him more and more after every touch and kiss.

Eleanor shivered, turning on her side to gaze at the sleeping Shelby, feeling her cold breath land on his skin so she pulled the covers over her bare shoulder as Tommy shivered in his sleep, probably dreaming. She wanted to wake him up, but then he'd get up, and she wouldn't know what to tell him. They had slept together, they became the closest two people could become. And yet there was so much more she wanted to tell him, so much more space in her soul left for him.

Elle knew she should've stopped staring, but Tommy finally fluttered his eyelids open, staring at the ceiling for a moment as if unaware where he was. Suddenly, his eyes glimmered as if in realization what had happened the previous night and he finally faced her softly, showing her his blue eyes that she loved so much.

Eleanor felt caught when their eyes met since he must have realized she had stared at him. Tommy didn't move an inch as the two people in love drew comfort from their silent gazes. Elle blushed immensely, but the act itself made Tommy love her ten times more. "It's freezing," she commented gently so Tommy, still surprising her, grabbed onto her hand and checked her body temperature as her frozen fingers felt heat from his hand.