•part twelve•

••••••

••••••

The Garrison, Birmingham, 1919:

T H E day was misty like every single day, but Eleanor didn't care much, feeling Grace's mood to be worse than the weather outside. The two women were at the Garrison once again, one working and another just sitting and drinking her sorrows away. Eleanor didn't wish to admit she grew fond of the pub, or perhaps of the fact that people there didn't bother her, aware of who she was. Besides, Grace was often a comfortable company for Eleanor, even if her recent behavior had begun to make Elle a tad bit suspicious.

Nevertheless, that day Grace seemed even more silent than she usually was and Eleanor at first didn't wish to bother her. She herself had been quite adamant to talk about her problems, especially when it involved Pius, but after a few shots of just vodka, Elle seemed to have found strength to ask the barmaid who had ruffled her feathers. "Grace, are you okay?" Elle asked, sighing herself so the blonde barmaid snapped her head up at the woman who didn't give her any space. Not that Grace disliked Eleanor. It was just that the female was coming between her and her plans, and Tommy, someone Grace had to befriend, seemed to share more with Eleanor than her.

"Of course," Grace lied, her hands shaky as Elle narrowed her eyes, but didn't ask the barmaid anything else.

Grace grew silent once again so Elle smiled, looking hopeless and exhausted. "I thought barmaids ask people whether they're okay too... Isn't it a part of your job? I mean, I am drinking here yet again, and it's not even lunch yet," Eleanor commented with a snicker, downing another vodka shot as Grace gave her a confused facial expression. Grace did, however, take away the bottle she had placed for Elle to pour herself, aware another shot and Eleanor would get truly drunk. Even if Grace would've enjoyed Elle's information, she couldn't do that to the only female who's been kind to her when she came.

"All right, I'll ask. Are you okay?" Grace asked half-heartedly, causing Eleanor to chuckle and feel her head spin slightly, the alcohol being a bad idea, especially since she hadn't eaten anything yet. Feeling sick, Elle wondered whether she should've answered Grace even if she asked herself.

"On the second thought, let the roles be reversed today. I'll be a good client and ask about your problems, but since you do not wish to answer me, let's leave it like that."

"Okay, you've had enough to drink, Eleanor," Grace sighed as she closed the bottle and placed it back on the shelf, taking away Eleanor's glass too so the blonde nodded in agreement, surprisingly not protesting. Eleanor had to keep her head alcohol-free since the times were dark and she couldn't afford herself to be drunk. "Why don't you wish to open up to me?"

Grace's tone seemed suspicious even to a semi-drunk Eleanor, who grinned slightly. "If I were to tell you, I'd have to kill you too," she said seriously, but to Grace it seemed like an unamusing joke until Elle grew serious for a moment and looked down. "Forget it, it is better you don't know it. I'm sure you'd love to keep yourself breathing."