•part three•

••••••

••••••

The Garrison, Birmingham, 1919:

E L E A N O R didn't know how she ended up at the Garrison a few days later, the pub filled as always but neither the Peaky Blinders nor Tommy Shelby seemed present that moment, which she had no idea was a good thing or a bad one. The atmosphere felt a bit strange to Elle nevertheless as she entered through the door to find men and some women focusing on the blond barmaid as she seemed to have been singing, Grace's voice hitting Elle's ears like sweet melody. The blonde stopped at the end, watching Grace sing to men a song Eleanor knew all too well, and Grace's soothing voice seemed to make Eleanor smile finally.

The barmaid was standing atop of everyone, singing confidently with no music present, but she didn't need instrumentals to get the emotion of the song she was singing, Eleanor leaning against a pillar to listen to some more, surprised men were singing along with the barmaid, some smiling and some silently humming along. The War had changed many things around here, Eleanor knew, but the singing seemed to bring the melancholic men back to the days before disaster.

Grace's eyes caught onto Eleanor's for a minute, the barmaid's voice suddenly growing louder so Eleanor managed to smile at the mysterious Irish barmaid, opening her own mouth to sing along the men near her, her own voice soft and yet silent since she didn't wish to be heard. Eleanor knew how to sing well, after all, she attended a church's choir when she was young and her life was still filled with sunshine. After that, many things happened and Eleanor only sang if she needed to comfort herself or to cry her heart out.

Suddenly, the men's singing quieted and they all turned away from Grace as if afraid of something, or rather, someone, Eleanor hearing a door open again before she turned back to find the Blinders enter the pub, Tommy and his brothers in the lead as Pius and a few others walked behind, all focusing on Grace's voice only since others quieted down. Eleanor's lips stopped moving as well as she watched Tommy take his cap off, moving forward as if led by Grace's voice, the barmaid still singing even if no other sound was heard anymore.

Elle knew the Peaky Blinders controlled their part of town, getting paid for protection and what not, but she didn't know men were even scared to sing at the presence of this gang. Nevertheless, unbeknownst to her, Elle herself stopped singing, watching men disregard Grace's singing they adored not even a second previously. Grace, on the other hand, only stopped singing when the song finished, her face a bit flustered she didn't receive any acknowledgment, or maybe she looked uncomfortable by Tommy Shelby's piercing gaze, the man unreadable to the barmaid as much as he was unreadable to Elle.

Eleanor continued to lean against the pillar, noticing Tommy lean on another one, the similarity in their moves making the female uncomfortable so she stood straight, uncomfortable by the silence or the way Pius seemed to look at Grace, the way the Blinders could cool the temperature to a hundred degrees below zero. Elle didn't realize her breath got hitched in her throat when Harry approached Tommy with a smile of a fool, a man who wished to suck up to his master.