Chapter 13

"I can't believe they escaped," Nathaniel whined after he and all of his servants were standing on land again.

"Your Supreme Handsome Intelligent Powerful Highness Prince Nathaniel Archibald Clancy Edmund Frederick Gregorious Humphrey Kristian Leopold Oliver the Ninth of Xebia, what would you like to do now?" one of the servants asked.

"First of all, who are you again?"

"I'm Martin, one of Sebastian's cousins that recently joined the staff a few weeks ago."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Anyway, the name is Nathaniel Frederick Oliver Gregorious Clancy Humphrey Archibald Leopold Edmund Kristian, and what we will do next is pretty obvious. We simply go around the island and find where those thieves have taken the Princess," Nathaniel replied as he handed Martin a piece of parchment that had his full name written on it. They then began searching for the people they had chased onto the new island.

"Wait, is that what I think it is? Are those people who aren't Mercuris on this island?" Madeline asked herself as she looked out the window while the sun was slowly beginning to set. She had spent three days trapped in the tower with the belief that the only people nearby were herself and Mercuris. But after a few more minutes of looking out the window and seeing four figures from afar, a small sliver of hope started to grow inside of her. "It is a group of people on this island. I don't know how or why they're here in the first place, but possible help is better than no help."

"Hey! You people down there! My name is Princess Madeline of Katrela, and I'm locked in this tower by Mercuris the Malicious, who is a real person and not a myth. I don't know who you are, but if you helped me, I would appreciate that very much!" a woman's voice from above yelled.

"Oh, man, you get hit by one arrow in the shoulder, and then you start hearing voices saying that a mythical wizard is real," Paris said after hearing the cry for help.

"Um, Paris, I heard that too," Erik told his closest friend.

"I heard someone yell too," Katherine added. Sylvia nodded her head in agreement.

"Did any of you hear me down there? If you did, it would be nice if one of you responded to me!" the voice yelled again.

"We did hear you, and I would like to hear more of your story," Erik replied as he and his friends tried to find where the voice was coming from.

"As I said earlier, I am Princess Madeleine of Katrela and am currently being held captive by Mercuris the Malicious, who is not a myth. He wants to marry me, and every time I turn down his proposal, the tower, which is disguised as a tree, leans closer to the water. So if you helped me escape, I would highly appreciate it," the imprisoned girl explained.

"Well, your Highness, we will try our hardest and help you escape from the evil wizard that you speak of," Erik told the Princess they had been searching for.

"How are we going to do that?" Katherine asked.

"We could try to climb the tree and get her out of there," Paris suggested.

"Sounds like a plan to me," Sylvia replied before grabbing some rope and walking to the slanted tree, ready to start climbing it.

"I guess we're going tree climbing today," Erik said as Sylvia began to climb the tower that was disguised as a tree. However, suddenly, one of the branches smacked Sylvia off the tree and down into the water.

"Rats! I forgot that the tower is enchanted! It makes sense that the branches wouldn't allow anyone to climb up," Sylvia realized shortly after falling into the water.

"So, what do we do now?" Erik asked as Paris helped Sylvia dry off.

"Your Highness, how has Mercuris been getting inside of the tower?" Katherine asked Madeline, hoping a new idea would come to her.

"Well, there's a door inside of here that he's always been entering through. That probably means there's some type of entrance down there," Madeline answered. "Also, please call me Madeline; there's no need to be fancy in this situation."

"So, if there's a door up there, that must mean there's some type of special entrance down here," Erik realized.

"So, let's try and find it," Sylvia decided before walking up to the tree again.

"Sylvia, watch out for that... branch," Paris tried to warn before one of the lower branches hit Sylvia.

"Sorry, I thought that since I was lower to the ground, the branch wouldn't attack me," Sylvia apologized while standing up again. "Wait a minute, I think I have an idea! Erik, try and find a passageway; I'll fight off the branches with my sword."

"Ohh, I'm Mercuris the Malicious. The whole world's superstitious," a voice in the distance sang.

"On second thought, we're hiding because I think Mercuris is here!" Erik exclaimed before hiding in the bushes again.

"If he's here, maybe we'll be able to figure out a way into the tower," Katherine added as a figure wearing a black cloak walked up to the tower.

Sure enough, none of the branches tried to attack the man as he walked to a place near the bottom and said, "Open sesame." A small hole opened up, and he walked into the tower.

"I guess that's how we have to get into the tower," Erik whispered to the others.

"When do we rescue Madeline?" Katherine asked.

"As soon as Mercuris leaves will probably be the best time," Paris suggested.

"And don't we have that black cloak in Sylvia's bag?" Katherine asked, remembering the things Sylvia had in the bag she brought with her everywhere.

"We sure do," Sylvia replied as she pulled out her black cloak from her bag.

"So, Your Highness, I gave you the entire day to think about my proposal. What is your answer now?" Mercuris asked once he was in the room of the tower.

"I will never marry you," Madeline replied firmly.

"Very well. Good night, don't expect anything to be any nicer," he said before leaving the tower for the final time.