Chapter 21

"So, Cousin Kate, how was your first ball?" Madeline asked Katherine as they made their way back to Katherine's chambers.

"It was wonderful. I would like to say again, however, that I'm sorry for being partially responsible for the end of your relationship with Nathaniel," Katherine replied, thinking of how many people at the ball had talked about the wedding that was not completed.

"You have nothing to apologize for. In fact, I'm relieved that you and your friends helped me realize how big a mistake it would have been for me to marry him. Frankly, though, I believe I need a break from men," Madeline said as they entered the chambers.

"Wait, Kate, weren't you wearing a necklace earlier?" Madeline pointed out.

"Good morning, Erik. What would you like to do today?" Paris greeted the next morning while Sylvia played with Spot back at their new home in the village.

"I'm not sure yet," Erik answered while admiring a golden necklace with an emerald gem.

"Where did you get that?" Paris asked.

"I took some advice from you last night," Erik answered.

"So you do like her," Paris realized.

"It doesn't matter. She's a princess, she has many like it and probably would rather hang around princes and other royals," Erik replied.

"Ah, I was wondering where that went," someone said.

Erik looked behind him to see that Katherine had come to see them, and smiled.

The End