Chapter 15

The trip back to Xebia was quicker than anyone had believed it would be.

"Peasants of Xebia. I am finally back from my grueling and perilous journey after fighting sea monsters, dragons, and deer single-handed. But more importantly, I brought back the fair Princess Madeline, and her kidnappers are now in prison, waiting for their execution date," Nathaniel announced to the crowd. "Now, I shall do the most important part of this entire mission." He kneeled on one knee towards Madeline and pulled out a ring. "Princess Madeline, will you marry me, Prince Nathaniel Frederick Oliver Gregorious Clancy Humphrey Archibald Leopold Edmund Kristian the Ninth of Xebia?" he asked.

"No," Madeline answered in only one second.

"Wait, what?"

"My answer to your proposal is no."

"Excuse us for one moment," Nathaniel told the crowd before pulling himself and Madeline out of view. "What are you doing?"

"I am turning down your proposal because you arrested innocent people who actually saved me from someone who could potentially kill us," Madeline replied.

"I said it once, and I'll say it again, Mercuris the Malicious is a myth, and you're just making things up after those outcasts cast some sort of memory charm on you."

"Memory charm? I was with them for not even a day; how could they do that to me?"

"Listen, if you don't accept my proposal, I'll have them executed tonight," Nathaniel threatened before pulling Madeline and himself back into view of the crowd. "Here we go again. Princess Madeline, will you marry me?" he asked again, hoping to receive a yes this time.

"Oh, Prince Nathaniel Frederick Oliver Gregorious Clancy Humphrey Archibald Leopold Edmund Kristian the Ninth of Xebia, how could I say no? Everyone has assumed that we would be married one day, and we've known each other for years and-" Madeline began in an overdramatized manner.

"Too much," Nathaniel whispered.

"Yes, I will marry you," Madeline replied in a normal tone and attitude with a fake smile.

Nathaniel put the ring on her finger and turned to the crowd. "Peasants, we shall be married tomorrow, and everyone will be invited. The day after our wedding, to celebrate the union of our kingdoms, we shall have the group of thieves who kidnapped my love be executed," he explained.

"What! But you said-" Madeline exclaimed before Nathaniel covered her mouth.

"Alright, go home, everyone. We have a very important event to prepare," Nathaniel said before waving to the crowd with his right hand and having his left arm around Madeline's waist.