BOOK 3 | •One•

Word Count: 979

Warnings: Like one cuss word, fourth wall breaking, death mention.

Song for chapter 1 - "sans (15th track of the Undertale OST)" by Toby Fox.

***

"Have a nice- day..." I muttered to a customer who did not want to talk. That's fine, I wouldn't want to talk to a cashier either.

Yeah, 'cashier' you heard me right. But what happened to the plan of becoming an engineer, you may ask? Well, you could say it went down the drain. Yup, this is now my life. You're probably wondering how I got into this situation...let's just go over it quickly.

〜(꒪꒳꒪)〜 Woosh transition

"Y/N L/N! WHAT IS THIS?!" My mom yelled at me, holding up my exam grades-

Nah, I'm just kidding. Failed exams aren't always the cause of failed careers. I actually did pretty well on my exams. Not excellent, but good enough.

The real reason why I'm here is because my parents found out I liked guys. No, it's not what you're thinking. They weren't that bad and didn't kick me out, but they did make weird comments like "I don't believe in it, but I support you." I just moved out and quit my plan of becoming a successful engineer in spite. Maybe it was a bit extreme, I admit, but I was way happier than I would have been.

Being a cashier isn't as bad as people make it out to be even if I complained earlier. It's a very simple job and doesn't stress me out, except for the occasional people who come in here guns blazing. I mean, robbing a store? I would get stealing a few items, but not a full on bank robbery copycat.

Anyway, I got off-topic there. The point is, yes I don't get paid very well, but it's enough to get by. I occasionally don't have money for like a week and I have to wait for my paycheck, but that's why it's always good to make friends. My coworkers were good people and they occasionally got me something if I needed it. If it didn't cost too much, of course. I was in debt to them, but they dismissed it.

Anyway numero dos, I really should stop talking to invisible people. My freeze frame didn't actually pause time, so I have to snap back to reality before my boss gives me a lecture. Well, I'll see you in a second, invisible people.

***

It felt like a long shift today, because me and two other coworkers were the only ones there. The fourth one was absent? We didn't really know much, just that our boss warned us a bit beforehand that she wasn't going to show up. Maybe she was sick or something. Either way, it wasn't really necessary to create conspiracy theories on where she had gone, we had our own work to do. The customers were split unevenly, so one of us got more workload than the other two.

My thought process was suddenly interrupted by my phone ringing. The caller ID was a random unknown phone number. It's usually telemarketers and I ignore them, but I felt compelled to answer. So I did. Ok

"Hello?" The voice on the other line spoke questioningly after I had waited for the person to speak first.

"Who is this?" I cautiosly asked.

"It's Mike Hanlon from Derry. Do you remember?" Mike asked.

"Yeah, of course, Mike. Why would I forget ya? It's been years, though, man. Why did you call now?" The other end went silent for a little moment.

"Mike? You good over there?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good. I'm just surprised you remember." He finally responded.

"...Why would you be surprised?"

"I called the others, it took them a while. You seem like you already knew and were oddly calm about it."

"What are you talking about?? By others you mean the Losers club? Did they all just randomly forget at the same time? Why are you even calling everyone right now anyway? Are you the 40 year old Facebook mom, is this some kind of weird nostalgic thing?" I bombarded Mike with questions.

"Woah, slow down, I can't keep up with you. Yes, by others I meant the Losers club. The reason why I called is to tell you IT's back." My face darkened. I knew this might happen back in the day, but not like 20 years later. Jeez, talk about sleeping beauty.

"And you want me to come back." I observed.

"I'm sorry, I know it's too much to ask, but I need you here. There's no way I'm defeating this thing on my own." Mike pleaded.

"Can't you just ask someone else?" I asked exasperatedly.

"You know I can't. Nobody is insane enough to believe that right off the bat." Unfortunately, he had a point.

I sighed.

"...Alright, fine. Give me a few days, I'll be there. If I die, it's on your ass."

"I'm really sorry ag-"

"Yeah, whatever." I hung up the phone and threw it on my bed.

I was doing fine. I had a normal life, a few friends. Why did something always have to ruin it? It's like bad luck follows me everywhere. I thought I had escaped it after I got away from my parents. Well, I'll get to meet an old friend, that's a plus, I guess. Although, big chance of dying, so woo yeah! How exciting!

I opened my laptop and decided to play a game to let off some steam. No way I was going to book a flight right away during a calm evening. I promised I'd be there within a few days, that meant in around a bit less than a week. What was I going to tell my boss, though? I'm skipping work to visit some old friend to kill a killer clown? Yeah, no, I'll just worry about that later. For now, I'll play my stupid little games in my stupid little apartment on my stupid little couch.

Game now. Killer clown later.

***

This took me less time than I thought it would, so yay! Not sure, but the next few chapters might not take as long too. The later chapters will take longer, though, because they'll be more complex than this. Anyway, question of the day: I mentioned playing a game earlier in this chapter, which game are y'all choosing?