chapter 16 - beginning to believe

"Welcome to crackhead wasteland" Sarah muttered as they pulled up. "why are we here" Pope said always unsure. JJ walked out "it won't take long", "where are you going?" John B questioned. "Yo soy justiciar" he yelled out as Maeve rolled her eyes. "you know someone should probably" Kie muttered looking at Maeve. "not today" she muttered looking out the window. "I got it" John B said as he followed JJ. Maeve jumped out of the bus and sat in the grass; Pope leaned his head out the window "hey you okay?" He asked. "I had a gun at my head Pope. None of this is ok" she said grabbing at her hair as a tear fell down her face. "Maeve, I'm sorry" Pope said Maeve chuckled "it's not your fault Pope" she sighed smiling at him.

JJ came out of the house a frustrated John B following him. "alright 5 grand each" JJ claimed as he walked out with money. "ok is this what we are doing now, we're robbing drug dealers?" Kie questioned. "how'd you guys like having a gun pulled on you, huh? Cause you didn't see the way he looked at Maeve" JJ yelled. "relax" John B walked up. "we have to get the gold ok, just give me that shit" John B went to grab the stuff before JJ pushed him up against the bus. Maeve felt the bus move as she was on the other side she decided she'd intervene now. "JJ seriously listen to john B" she pushed. "I'm not putting it back, you guys coming or what" he got in the van. No one moved not even Maeve who was looking at the ground disappointed. "what?" JJ said getting out again. "we're sick of your shit" John B said. "oh my shit?" he questioned. "yes JJ come on, you can't pull guns on people, please just calm down" Maeve tried to talk softly reaching out to his cheek. "yeah man come one you acting like a maniac" Pope spoke up. JJ leaned into Maeve's hand before pushing it away. "Pope I took the fall for you man; you know how much I owe because of you" he yelled at Pope. "I'm gonna pay you back and I didn't ask you to do that" Pope retorted. "I just did! You know what that's exactly what I'm gonna do, go off by myself" JJ replied. "JJ come on stop" Maeve tried to grab him, but he avoided her. "just let him go Maeve" The others said to her. JJ looked back for a second long enough to see the heartbreak on Maeve's face killing him inside, but he was too angry to go back now.

They arrived back at the Wreck; Maeve feeling very confused. She couldn't understand why JJ had left her after what had just happened, he'd seen the look on her face. "ok I just had a gun to my head, and he left, what is wrong with that boy?" Maeve yelled tempted to punch a tree but decided not to considering she'd most likely hurt herself. "Maeve are you ok?" Pope asked again. "I'm fine Pope" she started tearing up. "he'll come around ok; he's doing a JJ thing" John B tried to sooth her. "you think he'll go home" Kie asked. "JJ never goes home" Maeve muttered. Pope had decided the only way was to get all the gold out in one go. John B of course had to go fishing with Ward.

They decided they'd go at night. "at least JJ would have washed up by then" Kie said hugging Maeve. "shall we go?" Pope said looking at Maeve who nodded. "We'll see you later" Pope said as he walked away, Maeve following. Kie had work and John B and Sarah were gonna 'hang out'. "He'll come back Maeve" Pope tried to console the girl. She started crying as soon as they walked away from the group. "I just feel like everyone leaves me, my mum and now JJ" she said looking at Pope. "come on Maeve, he loves you he'll be back" Pope tried to reassure her. "can't say the same for my mum though can we?" she chuckled at him. "Where do you think she is?" he asked her. "Probably got into it with some drug dealers or something" Maeve admitted. Pope didn't say anything but pulled the girl in for a hug "he won't leave" he whispered into the hug giving Maeve some hope.

Finally it was night Pope, Kie and Maeve had been out getting supplies talking through the plan for the night. All of a sudden fairy lights turned on lighting up outside. "the hell was that?" Kie questioned as they all walked in. They found JJ in a hot tub. "what the hell did you do JJ?" Pope freaked out. Maeve just stared at the boy; she knew something was off. "I got a jet going straight in my butt right now, y'all need to get in here, Maeve baby come on" JJ slurred drinking some champagne. "how much did this cost" Pope questioned getting more on edge.

"uh well um all up mm pretty much all of it, but I mean come on guys look at this" JJ said. Maeve looked at the boy with sad eyes. "Maeve what huh, you only live once, enough of this get in the cat's ass. come on" JJ said. "in what?" Maeve looked at him. "the cat's ass that's what I named her, oh hey I almost forgot" JJ said turning on a disco light. Pope stepped forward "are you kidding you could've paid for restitution JJ" he yelled. "JJ" Maeve spoke up. "or given it to literally any charity" Kie interrupted Maeve. "oh well you know what, I didn't do that" JJ yelled standing up.

When he stood up that's when Maeve saw them. All the bruises that littered his body. "I got a hot tub for my friends" He kept yelling as Maeve begin to tear up looking at the broken boy. "screw friends I got a hot tub for my family, I got this for you" He said looking at Maeve desperately. "JJ, come here" Maeve stuttered. "No Maeve stop ok don't be emotional, it's fine okay" he yelled. "it's sweet right? Everyone, just get in" He kept talking. Maeve moved towards the hot tub fully clothed as she got in pulling the sobbing boy into a hug. He sobbed into her shoulder "I just couldn't do it; I can't take him anymore" he cried desperately holding onto Maeve who was trying to provide as much comfort as she could. "I was gonna kill him" he pushed out. "I love you" Maeve kept repeating as Kie and Pope joined the two in a group hug. "I just want to do the right thing" he muttered into Maeve's shoulder. "I know JJ, I know" she said brushing through his hair.

"JJ let's go home" Maeve whispered to the boy. It was much later now, and everyone seemed to settle. Kie and Pope were sitting outside the Chateau as Maeve and JJ walked away "I have no home" he looked to her with tears still in his eyes. "JJ it's you and me now, my home is yours ok" she said cupping his face. JJ looked to Maeve "I love you" he said kissing her hand. That was all Maeve needed to know, they were going to be ok. "hey guys we're gonna go now, we'll be back tomorrow bright and early" Maeve said as she grabbed JJ's hand as they walked off.

"It's going to be all ok now JJ" Maeve whispered as they walked along the road. "all I know is that as long as I have you that will be right" he smiled for the first time tonight at her. They arrived at Maeve's little shack " this is ours now" she smiled as they looked at the house. "perfect" he responded. They went into Maeve's room, Maeve shuffled into bed seeing JJ take his shirt of before climbing in after her. The moonlight shined through illuminating his face. Maeve traced the bruises left on JJ's skin as she left a small kiss on each one. She looked up seeing JJ looking down at her with love in his eyes. He pulled her to his chest giving her a soft kiss before wrapping his arms around her. "I love you" he reaffirmed. If anyone had looked into that window they would see two teens who were meant to be broken but somehow together they made each other believe.