chapter 8 - explosion

Next morning they were testing out the drone they got from the salvage yard. "ok we get footage from the wreck and give it to the marine salvage law" John B planned. "such bullshit" JJ muttered. "you can't just go round stealing from the ocean floor" Pope pointed out. "well now we just have to wait for best weather, and today is not that day" Pope claimed as they looked at the sky. "ok well come on" Maeve muttered grabbing JJ's hand as they went to help Pope with his dad's deliveries. Maeve laid down on the boat as Pope and JJ stood there. "it doesn't even look like storm hit here" JJ pointed out. "rich people" Pope complained. 

Pope got off the boat to give deliveries to the club as JJ went to the others. "I'm gonna go with Pope" Maeve decided a little confused about being around JJ. "oh uh ok" JJ said confused as they all walked off. "Maeve seriously you need to tell him, plus that boy's basically in love with you" Pope revealed. "Pope seriously I'm just really confused, my mum's gone and now there's JJ" Maeve said stressed. "what do you mean now there's JJ, do you have feelings?" Pope asked. "look Pope he's been my best friend since I can remember I don't understand what's happening" Maeve claimed. "look all im saying is talk to him" Pope pushed. Just as they were reaching the end Topper and Rafe appeared "great" Maeve muttered as they approached them. "how much for one of those beers man?" Rafe questioned. "they're not for sale" Pope said calmly. But rafe took measures into his own hands ripping the plastic bags with the golf club. Rafe just kept going and Topper decided to join him, they'd gone too far and started beating Pope with the golf club. "Get away from him" Maeve screamed scared for her life. "oh and you're pretty pogue princess, too bad you're a pogue cause you are hot. Probably hottest on the island wouldn't you say Topper?" Rafe asked as he grabbed Maeve and hit her ass. Maeve was looking at a beat Pope on the ground as she felt Rafe's hand on her ass "get the hell off me" Maeve gritted through her teeth. "feisty" he commented getting in her face. Maeve whacked her head forward colliding with Rafe's "shit" Rafe stumbled back. "you bitch, you're lucky you're hot" Rafe said as he got closer this time Topper stopping him. "come on man let's go" he tried to convince finally they left. "come on Pope, you're ok" Maeve said helping him up. "let's not tell JJ ok" pope said looking at Maeve who was bleeding from her head. "ok well I need a hat" Maeve chuckled pointing to the blood. They got back to the boat as JJ approached "count me in on all these groceries man" JJ laughed clearly excited about the money. Maeve looked at Pope knowing he was not going to cover this up. "what's up with you bro?" he asked noticing Pope's vibe. "what happened to your face dude?" JJ asked taking the hat off his head looking at Maeve getting angrier when he saw her head. "what the hell" JJ said as he grabbed Maeve who semi flinched at his touch. "what's wrong, what happened" JJ kept asking. "topper and Rafe jumped us they said no Pogue's on their side of the island" Pope revealed. "ok so what are you going to do?" JJ asked.

They now stood infront of Topper's boat. "guys not a good idea" Maeve tried to convince them but too late as Pope jumped in. "so did they do that to you?" JJ asked Maeve. "well sort of, Rafe had me so I head butted him" Maeve said. "what do you mean had you?" JJ asked "well he held me and was grabbing my ass so I retaliated" Maeve let down. "he touched your ass" JJ started getting mad. "woah JJ it's ok, im ok" Maeve reassured grabbing JJ's hand and looking in his eyes calming him down. "you sure" JJ asked and Maeve nodded. Pope made it back as JJ took the plug and threw it into the ocean. "you guys cant tell anyone" Pope said. "yeah no problem" they both nodded. "k let's get out of here" JJ said rushing to the boat.

They got to the beach grabbing their boards finally having some time to surf. Maeve and JJ sat out the back floating on their boards as the others surfed the waves. "you sure you okay" JJ asked again "yes JJ stop asking me" Maeve looked at JJ. "Maeve" JJ huffed, "yeah" Maeve responded. There was a short silence until JJ spoke up again. "I like you, like more than my best friend" JJ blurted out. Maeve's heart was beating so fast as she stared into JJ's eyes. "yo guys you coming?" John B yelled out to them interrupting them. Maeve broke eye contact before yelling "yeah we're coming" as she paddled back leaving JJ there very confused as to what he just did.

They sat at the tree on the hammock. "you really think it's out there?" Pope asked as the conversation started about the money and its realness. Maeve laid on the hammock with JJ next to her as the others now slept. "JJ" Maeve whispered to see if he was awake. "yeah" he responded. "my mum's gone, she left about 3 months ago" Maeve finally told him. JJ turned his body so he could look at Maeve "im sorry" JJ said. "I just wanted to tell you; Pope knew that's what was happening I didn't like him" She admitted. "oh yeah that makes more sense" JJ said. "yeah I like you" Maeve just said it calmly and straightforward it caught JJ off guard. "well" JJ said "well" Maeve replied. They stared at each other before finally JJ caressed her cheek and pulled her into a kiss. Finally JJ thought he had loved this girl the moment he met her, and he was finally kissing her. It was a simple kiss yet caused Maeve's stomach to explode. They pulled apart as JJ held her hand and they both drifted off to sleep.