Chapter 4 - diver down

Maeve had walked home that night as she got home and walked into her room she saw JJ on her bed. "JJ what are you doing here?" Maeve questioned. "I messed up I know" JJ whispered as he sat there. "JJ I told you that gun was bad news" Maeve said sitting next to him. "can I stay the night" he asked scared to go back to his dads. "sure JJ" Maeve said. It wasn't unusual for JJ to stay at Maeve's however it had been a while since Maeve was trying to keep it a secret that her mum had left her. "will your mum care?" JJ questioned as he got into Maeve's bed. Maeve laughed "my mum never cares" she said as she jumped into bed next to JJ. She felt his arm go around her waist and pull her waist into his bosy. Maeve didn't protest she found it comforting for once.

When Maeve woke up she felt JJ's arm strongly around her still. Maeve moved herself from his grip going to have a shower. As she was showering JJ walked in. Maeve shrieked "uhh privacy JJ" Maeve pointed out. "hey I had to pee, you know we'd save water if we showered together" JJ smirked. "oh sure yeah come on in" Maeve said sarcastically as she grabbed a towel to cover herself. "I'm leaving though" Maeve smirked as she walked pass him very closely JJ's breath hitching as she walked pass him.

They were now sitting outside John B's after his visit with the cops. "I'm calling it off" John B announced. "Peterkin said she could help me out if we stay off the marsh" John B revealed. "and you believed a cop?" JJ scoffed. They bickered as Maeve sat there. "they always win" JJ yelled referring to the kooks. "if they don't want us to go there's something valuable down there. I get why you don't want to go, you're the golden boy" JJ referred to Pope. "and you, you're already rich as fuck anyway" JJ pointed at Kiara. "Maeve would get in so much shit with her mum" JJ yelled. Maeve scoffed "she doesn't care" she whispered. No one heard her except Pope who gave her a look "later" she mouthed to him as JJ continued his rant. "But you and me man. We've got nothing to lose. And I know it didn't use to be that way for you" JJ yelled. "I don't wanna talk about this" John B muttered. But JJ didn't stop "you work for the cameron's you could easily get some scuba gear, I have a plan" JJ claimed. Before they knew it John B was gone.

Pope moved over towards Maeve "not here Pope" she muttered. "okay then let's go over here" Pope muttered grabbing her arm pulling her away from JJ and Kiara. "What is up with you?" Pope questioned. "literally nothing, you don't need to worry" Maeve said back. "Maeve I'm not stupid" Pope reinforced. "ok ok, Pope I will tell you just not now ok" Maeve tried. "ok but just tell me is it about your mum?" Pope further questioned. "oh my god yes ok now can we leave it?" Maeve yelled before walking back to Kiara and JJ. "what was that?" JJ asked suspiciously "nothing, let's just go" Maeve muttered angrily as she walked away the others following.

Now they were out on the marsh with the scuba gear. "so anyone know how to dive?" Kiara asked. "kind of a kook sport" JJ responded. "I read about it" Pope said. "how hard can it be" JJ claimed. "well if you come up to fast you get the bends" Pope revealed. "the bends like bend over" JJ said as he started to push his ass out. "no the bends can kill you" Pope said immediately making JJ stand up. Pope started calculating when John B needed to make his safety stop. Maeve could see Kiara's face full of worry. Maeve took off her shirt and gave it to Kiara who jumped into the water. "what was that" Pope asked them. "I don't know but I liked it" JJ commented as he eyed up Maeve's now exposed bikini. Maeve shoved JJ as she felt his eyes "shut up" she laughed. "I tied the shirt at 10 feet for you to stop" Kiara said as she came up. Maeve sat there worried "zen think zen" JJ said. "diver down" Kiara said to John B after kissing his cheek. "hmm" Maeve laughed as Kiara turned back to her. "oh my gosh stop maeve" Kie laughed. Just as John B went down the police came up. "just act fricken normal" Kiara claimed. JJ immediately sat next to Maeve pulling her onto his lap. "come on, normal" JJ whispered in her ear. "hey you guys know the marsh is closed?" the officer questioned. "oh no I didn't" they all said at the same time. "where's your friend you're always with?" he further questioned. "oh he's working" JJ responded as he squeezed Maeve to calm her. "got life jackets" He kept stalling "oh yep show em" Kiara pointed as Pope opened to reveal them.

The officer moved towards the edge of the boat looking over for a very long time. JJ could feel Maeve's nerves as he whispered in her ear "it's okay". She smiled softly grabbing his hold tighter. Finally the police left them as they all scrambled to the edge of the boat JJ's hand still holding Maeve's. John B appeared finally revealing a large back. "you scared the shit out of me" Kie said. "hey hey boat ahead" kie realised. "what the hell they doing out here?" Pope asked. "I don't know but I don't want to find out" JJ said as he was still holding Maeve's hand pulling her with him. "Let's go, go" Kie said as they began to leave. "yo they're speeding up and following us" Kie realised. The boat wasn't going any faster and that's when they heard shots being fired. JJ pulled Maeve down who was breathing speratically. "oh my god we're gonna die" Pope yelled. "Pope move" Maeve said looking at Kie. They both grabbed a fishing net throwing it into the ocean to stop the speed boat. "MAEVE, come back" JJ yelled worried she'd get shot. But the net successfully stopped the boat.

They got back to the dock. "we almost died over this, just open it" Pope said antsy. They opened the bag to reveal a compass clear disappointment spread among the group. But john B stiffened, "dude what, it's nothing" JJ responded. "it's my father's compass" John B realised.