Chapter 1

━━━━━━━━
I N C I T I N G   S E C R E T S
caput premium ❝he is the devil and worse❞
━━━━━━━━

THE COLD, DAMP wind swept through Ileana's deep brown locks, gently hitting her soft complexion as she stepped out of the black cab. Looking up at the grey clouds as they watched her from below, she was surprised it wasn't raining yet, given England's bad track record of the weather. Ileana took a moment to breathe in the familiar air as she admired the view in front of her eyes.

For a five-hundred-year-old independent school, St. Farlington's Manor was beautiful. The wide building stood prosperously almost mounting over with its huge bell tower in the centre. Tall spires and turrets loomed proudly. Narrow windows were fixated throughout the premises, which were never to be opened. It is a jail suited for education, prisoners in luxury attire as they are watched over with a military-like order. This isn't your regular school for kids, it's worse and Ileana couldn't be happier. She was relieved.

As the driver started to take her luggage out, Ileana's eyes scanned the grounds to see everyone else. The majority of them were accompanied by their parents, bidding farewell with warm hugs and happy smiles. Only something she urged to have. The lush grassland in the centre was filled with junior year students. Many girls were sitting down reading books in groups, whilst a couple of boys stood chatting.

There was a gender divide at Farlingtons, it was expected with their traditional ways of how the Manor had been for centuries. Girls and Boys were not to mix outside classroom hours, especially with the juniors. However, the rules became ever so lenient with the seniors. It was seen as disrespectful and ill-mannered and St. Farligtons was always taught to be proper and of class; whatever that meant. God forbid, but the rules were never tarnished and that hadn't changed.

Boarders were separated in wings, The Maidens and Gents, in separate buildings on the opposite sides of the Manor. For obvious reasons, this was a strict regulation and consequences were given out to those who disobeyed. Ileana had no problem with that, being Head Girl at St. Farligtons gave her no other option but to play by the book.

Ileana narrowed her eyes in dismay at a year ten student who had broken the dress code. The uniform was something the school never failed to deal with. It was their top priority alongside impeccable learning. As Headmistress Lyttleton says, "The uniform is what makes St. Farligtons Manor the most prestigious school in London, without it, there would be no education." Ileana couldn't agree more, whilst some hated the strict dress code, she simply adored it. It was sophisticated, smart and certainly very elegant.

A pearl-white cotton shirt, with a navy, vintage bowknot brooch, which was optional for the sixth form, but Ileana loved that it added an extra touch to her attire. A tie was worn by every student in the rest of the colours which had coloured stripes, according to what year you were in. The blazer was dark blue, almost black with crimson, silk material on the inside. Bronze, military-style buttons down the middle and on the sleeves. The out breast pocket had the Farlington's logo embroidered in silver and gold threading. For girls, wearing a pleated, knee-length skirt was compulsory even in the winter. It was checkered with the staple colours of the Manor and was made from the finest polyester. Plain black, opaque tights were worn by many although some opted for long socks, especially in the summer. Ileana wore one-inch heels to match and had her naturally wavy hair down.

Ileana didn't bother about how she looked like most girls her age did, she was education oriented. Getting into the University of Oxford was her parents' dream and nothing needed to get in the way, that no one would stop her from achieving it, especially him. Ileana had always been intelligent. For someone whose first language wasn't English, Ileana managed to get impeccable grades which landed her in the Manor.  Ever since she and her family moved from Iraq, the school was all she ever cared about. Her family had specifically moved from the Middle East so that Ileana could have a better life, and her parents have a beneficial job. Life in Iraq was hard, so Ileana was very grateful that she moved to England. However, it wasn't what she perceived.