Chapter 9

━━━━━━━━
I N C I T I N G   S E C R E T S
caput novem ❝god, you're dramatic❞
━━━━━━━━

"I TOLD YOU, I'll be there soon." Draven let out a frustrated sigh, whilst he spoke to Zhang on the phone. "What's with you all? I haven't run away."

He didn't bother giving a chance for his brother to reply and slammed the phone, pressing on the gas pedal harder as he made his way home. Draven has already texted him, yet he called him knowing he's already on his way.

Draven had tolerated the last two hours with Satan's sidekick and couldn't put up with any more nonsense from anyone, even his family. Maybe, if he just left her sitting on the bench, he wouldn't be so annoyed right now. But he wasn't heartless, well wasn't completely. He had a little care, even if it was near the size of a grain of rice. Draven knew he couldn't just drive past her like that. Perhaps it was just the family situation or the fact it would be morally wrong.

Within minutes, Draven was closer to home. He drove to the gates and stopped as he put the window down. He reached, extending his arm and pressing this buzzer to alarm his parents to open the gates for him.

The Whittemore house was exactly how you expected it to be. Grand and gorgeous, it screamed luxury. With a huge water foundation in the middle, made from the finest of stone and engraved, the Whittemore name. Night lamps were hung up near each pillar of the house and illuminated the surroundings.

Draven parked his car near his fathers, turned the ignition off and stepped out, before locking it. He looked back at his car and then made his way up the stairs. When Draven reached the top, he placed his finger on the scanner and waited for it to recognise him.

Draven didn't understand why his father put up so much security, he thought it was pathetic and made it look like some prison. He also disliked how unflattering it was, but Reed Whittemore was quite adamant about it.

The scanner lit green and Draven pushed the door and strode into the foyer. He could hear distant talking and laughter and decided to go into the room where the noise was coming from.

The door swung open and both his parents and Zhang were sitting talking, his brother in law was also seated on the opposite sofa.

"Here he is," Zhang cocked his head, "Took you long enough. What happened? Did you fall asleep in your car?"

Draven's mother stood up to greet her son, by embracing him in a warm hug, "Don't listen to him. I'm glad you finally did make it. I was just about to tell your father to go searching for you."

"Mum, I'm not five." He replied returning the hug back and then shooting daggers at Zhang, who laughed. "And I did not go to sleep in my car."

"Have you eaten yet?" His mother questioned him, sincerely. "I think you've gone quite slim, don't they feed you at The Manor?"

His father interrupted, "Just say you have, it'll save you from your mother's cooking." Draven chuckled with his dad, followed by the rest of them laughing at his joke.

Draven stepped away from his mother to take a seat, "I eat perfectly fine."

"Yeah, this guy eats loads, you don't need to worry about him." Zhang added, "He's like an animal sometimes."

Their mother gave out a light chuckle before heading to the kitchen, "And don't you think you've got a way with your jokes." She pointed to her husband, shaking her head. "You can help me in the kitchen."

She ordered and Draven was slightly cringed out by his parents' relationship. His parents had been together since they were in high school but acted as if they had just gotten together. They had what you called a "close to perfect" marriage, although having their ups and downs, they always had each other's backs. Draven was glad but watching them be lovesick was dreadful. His friends' relationships were enough to throw him off, he didn't want to come home to watch his parents.