Chapter 10

━━━━━━━━
I N C I T I N G S E C R E T S
caput decem ❝so how about a dance❞
━━━━━━━━

THERE ARE MANY things that one needs to survive. Things that people need every day to keep going. The couple of people, objects and ideas that give them a reason to wake up in the morning. But for Draven Whittemore, that was quite simple.

You'd think for someone like him, it could be anything in the world. The most luxurious clothing item, or an expensive meal or even money, however, this was a little out of the ordinary. Not for him, but others were surprised. Anyone who knew him already was aware of this.

Ever since he could pronounce the word, the water had been his happy place. Dravens mothers had gone through many mini inflatable pools in the back garden. She knew he loved it and ever since Draven figured out his potential career, she always encouraged him. If it wasn't for her taking him to swim class every Saturday morning, he wouldn't be the somewhat athlete he is today.

"And...time!" Coach yelled it out loud just as he pressed the stopwatch to pause. Draven stopped at the end of the pool and lifted his goggles, resting them on his soaked hair. He caught his breath, his heart beating fast as his legs floated in the chlorine-invested water. "That was okay, but we need better."

Coach shook his head and walked away leaving Draven to only roll his eyes. Better. He repeated to himself. Better is for people who underachieve. He quickly threw the thought away, dismissing it from his mind and reached up on the edge to sit down.

Draven took his goggles off his head and ran his fingers through his wet hair, whilst padding his legs in the water. He was confused. He never underperforms, especially in practice. Slacking for Draven was never the case and he wasn't going to settle for that.

"I don't think he understands not everyone is a fucking robot. He probably can't even swim anymore, not with that physique." Kyros insulted the swim coach from the bench behind Draven, who looked back at him and chuckled slightly. "Did I lie?"

Kryos quickly threw the towel next to him, which landed on Draven's head. He furrowed his brow, "I'm going back in a few minutes. Take it back." He grabbed the soft towel which had a few droplets of water from Draven's hair.

"You can't, we have something to do."

Draven's eyes widened, "Did you not hear what he just said?"

"I did," Kyros answered back, the blue in his eyes sparkled making the pool look insignificant. "However, I didn't take any of it into consideration."

Draven wasn't going to leave the swimming pool just like that. He couldn't afford to. With exams this year and the competition, balancing the two wasn't easy and making extra time with his team was always a struggle. Even if he wanted to, Coach wouldn't let him go so easily, especially after making comments about his performance.

Kyros stared at Draven, his lack of patience rising, "Get a move on. I left Math class for this."

"Why did you leave class if you knew I wasn't going to come with you? Was it that bad or is there something going on?" Draven questioned him, whilst patting the droplets of water even though he would be in the shower soon.

"No, Math was fine. I just got up and left saying I needed to go get my textbook and calculator. I had them right in front of me but I'm convinced Professor Anders has been given the wrong prescription. The woman is blind." He explained, before getting up. "Fuck sake, my shoes are wet now. All thanks to you, dickhead."

Kyros sure did love to curse at any opportunity given to him. Dismissing the fact he was a genius with numbers, Kyros was a block of ice. He didn't care what he said to his friends, because anything that came out of his mouth was nothing but the truth. Honestly laced his words, that's if he even gave you the privilege to carry a conversation with him.