Chapter 5: Balloons and Water

Recommended song for Chapter 5: 99 Red Balloons, By: Goldfinger.

(Chases' POV) -Same day, lunch time-

*

"I'm telling you Clara, I can feel the stupidity in the air. I swear to you that if this feeling's because of Rich, he won't go unpunished." It's already nearing the end of lunch, and me and Clara have been talking about stuff that's not important, when my feeling of foreboding increased. Clara just stares across from me over the remains of her empty tray, and she rests her cheek on her hand for awhile before answering me.

"You know since you rarely ever show paranoia, it's a nice change." She smiles while twirling her white plastic fork in her other hand. I frown at this, and turn in my seat so I'm completely facing her.

"Don't give me that, you know I'm usually right when I get paranoid." I grab both of our trays and make my way to drop them off at where they get cleaned. Clara just follows behind me, moving in a way that attracts the stares of multiple guys.

"True, true. Whenever you get paranoid it usually means something's about to happen. Also, Chase, your hackles are rising." She puts one hand on my shoulder to pull herself up more, and uses the other to run her fingers through my rising hair. Which then earns the envy of the guys who were staring at us, but that's all they can do.

Just stare and never voice their hate, because they're smart enough to know that if they mess with me, a Beta and a Knight no less, they won't be getting off easy. "Don't look now Chase, but I see at least twenty girls trying to glare holes in my head" she says in a whisper, and chuckles once she's done.

I grab her by the waist just before we leave the lunch room, "Is this jealousy I detect babe? You know everything I am belongs to you and you alone, should I prove it?" The room goes silent as I move her hair behind her ear, and I whisper this to her just loud enough for everyone who's listening to hear but soft enough to make them think it was meant for her only.

She quickly catches on and wraps her arms around my neck while tugging at my hair lightly, and just when I get close enough for a kiss we both quickly look at everyone in the lunch room. Just in time to see most of the girls have blushes on their faces while the rest of them look astounded at our little exchange before they quickly look away from us, flustered.

You see, since we're the 'on-again-off-again' couple in this school, and by the way, Clara thought this up towards the end of Middle School, we pretend we're a couple when Clara has no one she wants to date so that we both have a reason to turn down any of the people who want to date us, it comes in handy when others tend to get too touchy-feely.

We walk out of the lunch room, and once we're out of earshot and sight we burst out laughing; "Hahaha, did you see their faces?!? So worth it Chase, so worth it!" Clara's holding her stomach as she laughs while I have my hand over my eyes to try and stop the tears from pouring out.

"Oh I did, I did! God we're so evil, though I do feel kind of bad that I have to lie to the pack to... Oh well, I'm sure they've figured it out long ago." By the time we calmed down the bell had rung, signaling that lunch was over and it was time to head for fourth hour. "Aight, I have to go over to the Sea building after school and meet some friends, so I'll meet you in the parking lot around 4:30, sound good?" We've come to the spot where Clara goes to the right wing and I go to the left.

"Ok, that's fine. See you then?" She holds up her hand for me to take.

"Yeah, see you then" I take it and pull her in for a quick hug, then we part to head for class.

*

*

*~Last hour, Algebra. 3:57~

Nothing's happened yet but I still get the feeling that it's coming. Since today's the first day of school it mostly consisted of getting to know our teachers and classmates, so we got the last ten minutes of class off to talk with friends and stuff.